1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

For those that switch between J & P style basses and not because of neck size…

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jim C, Apr 17, 2015.

1. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Do you ever:
    * Consider one bass your main instrument and then all of a sudden fall back in love with the other?
    * Use a different bass for different bands?
    * Realize that your keyboard player is getting married on the same day as a gig (great excuse) and think that you may want to take up more space with the P
    * Use the J to be heard more clearly in a messy, muddy, band mix?
    * Use a P because the band is not so good and big solid notes help hold it together?
    * Try to get one to sound like the other?
    * Think it just doesn't matter and play the one that's set up the best, has the newest strings, or the most fun (because your amp can make the whole thing happen either way)?
    * Never use the bridge pup on the J so that you can get the most aggressive tone?
    * Use both pups exclusively on the J for a tighter sound with less resonance?
    * Are not sure why you change from one to the other over the years; and then back again?

* Your thoughts here ________________

VWbug likes this.
  2. Different basses for different bands for sure but I like both on some gigs to get different feels for songs that need it.

TonyP- and Aqualung60 like this.
  3. DinoRock

DinoRock

Mar 26, 2015
    New York State
    I have several of each. I do mainly studio work these days. I have them each set up to give a unique sound as I don't need duplicates and the sound/tone is critical for me. I use whichever will give me the sound I'm looking for on the track I'm working on. On a recent 10 song cd, I used 8 different basses. Engineer, producer, other musicians all seemed to like whatever I chose, with one exception of one track that they thought the sound I gave them was too clean (Fender Am Std P-bass with 77s) and wanted a "dirtier" sound, so I re-recorded with another bass.

TheBear and boynamedsuse like this.
  4. Yes.........D, All of the above.......or was it J ?......no it must have been ....P!...or. P/J Lol

Maxdusty likes this.
  5. gary19702

gary19702

Jan 15, 2013
    I use a '98 squire p bass special standard series. jazz neck and prosteels. good enough for any musical situation I've been in so far, thumps just fine and conversely can get nice and gritty once the j pup is turned up. best of both worlds. 1604612_10206028594458720_3092563878419245799_n.

6. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    I used a Jazz and P bass separately but found a happy medium with a P/J bass- it does the P bass emulation pretty well with the added bite of a jazz pickup (not the full Jazz bass effect as after all it only has the one jazz pickup but enough to give the sound some definition).
    For a while, a MIA Fender JP-90 was my main bass, but a recent purchase, an Ibanez Talman TMB100 seems to fit the criteria of the ideal P/J bass for me.

sandman357 and Malak the Mad like this.
  7. Yes... I usually play my P because I like the way it fills up the room. I played my J at practice last night and... I really like the way it cut through the mix (three-piece band). My background is guitar and I'm finding I'm sort of a Tele/Strat guy. I have both and would really have a heck of a time if I had to pick one over the other. I'm really the same way with my P and J now. I've got a J neck on my P and I am smitten with both basses at this point. As a matter of fact, the P was in the car last night just in case. Didn't need it, but could have... Sorry for the circular post.

8. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    Different basses for different bands and whatever mood strikes me.

9. sigmafloyd

sigmafloyd

May 1, 2011
    I think I have found my people :)

10. I like to use both, depending on the song and my mood at the time.

11. christle

christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Mostly mood driven but can definitely be gig driven. I'm discovering that I'm more of a Precision player than a Jazz player but the both hold a place in my heart.

12. sigmafloyd

sigmafloyd

May 1, 2011
    I have both and really can't decide. I am currently using my Jazz more because of the tightness of both pickups on. I feel like the P is a little too raw or something in my 3 piece. Anyone feel that way? Everyone always describes Ps as warm and full but I feel like i am more exposed when playing it.

My P has more sentimental value, been thinking of maybe converting it to PJ. It currently has a Jazz neck as well.

If I had to say I'm probably a J guy, but def the 60s kinda J, more John Paul jones than Marcus miller

13. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Agreed that the J with both pups on is "tight" and lends itself to a more refined , modern R&B vibe
    I think the J with mostly neck pup is raw and more aggressive
    I do think the P is warmer based on the fullness, wider mid range, and that huge resonance that just makes it easier to play with less precise articulation.
    My main P is a CAR 73 with a factory "A" maple neck; my main J is a bound and blocked maple 72 so the necks are pretty close
    I too am 100% more JPJ than Marcus as that too is an important reference point

14. sigmafloyd

sigmafloyd

May 1, 2011
    My recent J tone setting has been neck at 8, bridge at 10, tone at 0. It is really warm but still tight. It's amazing how much rolling the pickup off just a hair changes the whole tone.

I feel the opposite I guess than you on the P, I feel like I need to be way more carefully when playing the P. I think both the J pickups compress out some of my sloppiness. I get a ton more clack on the P

15. MasonMinor

MasonMinor

Nov 29, 2014
    Kentucky
    Well, I have played my jazz a LOT more recently, to the point where it's considered my favorite, but I feel like if I heard an early Rush song or something by the Who, I would go back to my P. I love both necks, both sounds, and almost everything about the two different basses. I switch depending on what I'm listening to and what I think would suit the tone best.

16. I was a Jazz guy to start with, then became a complete P guy both because of tone, and because the narrow neck of the J was giving me hand cramps. After a number of years I've gone back to J's, both Mike Lulls. The 4-string is a J with a P neck so it's perfect for me. The 5-string by definition doesn't have the narrow neck. What I found is that to cut through in *some types* of music, the J pickup adds a needed dimension. But I still love P's too and it's not that one is better - no such thing. I still have my '78 fretless Fender P as well as a really nice 35" Lakland P.

northbynorth likes this.
  17. NL_Bsss65

NL_Bsss65

Sep 12, 2010
    St.john's nl
    I can never make up my mind I love both my p-bass and jazz equally it's like trying to pick a favourite child but I just can't My ying and yang

18. BazzTard

BazzTard Banned

I use my P for most songs, but the Jazz for Rush songs to get that gnarly growly tone. I use a Mooer Pure Boost to boost the Jazz's level to that of the P so I can seemlessly change basses at gigs without touching my amp's volume

MasonMinor likes this.
  19. mikeyjm2

mikeyjm2 Keepin' it simple.

Dec 31, 2014
    Houston, TX
    I don't even understand them myself most of the time. Some (a lot of) things I like about my P, but for some reason there is just a certain comfort level for me with my J, I guess maybe because I've had it longer? I don't mean the neck on the comfort thing. It's actually more about how my plucking hand (right) fits on the body and where those fingers just naturally sit on the strings. Still feels a bit forced for me on the P somehow.

sigmafloyd likes this.
  20. No, I've never done any of those things. Yeah right.