For those who DON'T have a Dingwall...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dragonlord, Apr 30, 2008.

1. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    ...what would make you buy one? If you've noticed the other thread, Dingwall is thinking of introducing a "budget" line ($900-$1200 price range) and it would be great if we could hear what would non-dingwall players want in such a model in order to catch their attention. What do you like in Dingwall basses? What scares you away? Except for the price, what would you change?

2. The addition of a 7th string.

3. BigRedX

BigRedX

May 1, 2006
    I would love to own a Dingwall. The only reasons I don't have one is that there not so easy to get hold of here in the UK, and the fact that at the moment I'm mainly playing fretless and while I know there are some brave people out there with fretless Dingwalls I know I'm not quite ready for multi-scale fretless myself.

4. dataBASS5

dataBASS5

Nov 8, 2006
    Raleigh, NC
    I dig the staggered bridge, but I can't get used to the fanned frets. There's a used one in town that I can consistently pick up, but I don't ever take it home because of this. Not sure if it's something Ding would want to change--it's what makes 'em unique! :smug:

5. fullrangebass

fullrangebass

May 7, 2005
    Europe
    I own a fretless Dingwall and I can tell you that it's not really that different from any other fretless (I have owned 2 conventional fretless basses in the past)

6. Basdyret

Basdyret A repatriated Dane

Aug 6, 2007
    Billund, Denmark
    Enough money would make me buy one...! A Surf Green Super J, to be precise :D

7. I bought my Afterburner I for not much more than that :confused: I guess I should have kept it as an investment :meh:

8. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    He should get his machines fixed.
    All his frets are sideways!!!

:D

9. Low Main

Low Main Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Massachusetts
    I could do without the swoopy tail design on the body, but that's a fairly small consideration.

What really bothers me is the size and shape of the headstock (at least on the Afterburner). It's too small and visually it looks compressed and forced onto the end of the neck. This is in terms of viewing it proportionately in regard to the neck and the overall bass.

Make the headstock bigger in proportion to the rest of the neck, so the tuners don't look like they're crammed into a compressed and confined space. There's already a lot of visual tension and compression caused by the appearance of the fretboard which can be unsettling to people who aren't sure what to think about the bass.

This is the kind of stuff that keeps people from trying out an instrument. Visual design is important. Even if people don't realize that it is. Sometimes, people can't exactly pin down what it is that bothers them or turns them off about a specific bass.

It's OK to be anal about the headstock and hold every aspect of the Dingwall design effort to a high standard because there's so much good design throughout the rest of the instrument. That's what makes the headstock so noticeable.

Ugly headstocks have kept lots of people from checking out great sounding basses.

Case in point: G&L (1983 and beyond)

10. chris.gotfunk

chris.gotfunk

Mar 21, 2007
    Ashburn, Va
    I have played a few Dingwall's and I love them. They do take some getting used to for sure. For me, it is the price. $2,900 that hurts. So a $900-$1,200 would be cool. There are some key things not to sacrifice to keep the Dingwall a Dingwall though. They would still need the nice pups in them, the good bridge, passive is okay, bolt-on, no need for any kind of fancy top (maybe even solid color finishes), no case but a gig bag. Those are things I would like to see on the model line.
    Peace,
    Chris

11. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Money is the only thing stopping me, but OTOH I would wonder where he was cutting costs. I would shy away from a budget line that had poor QC or significantly lower-quality materials, if all it had going for it was the "look" and the name on the headstock. We know it can be done decently well, as with the Sad Metro or Lakland Skyline, but there are many other examples of budget lines that I wouldn't touch with a barge pole. In those cases it's like fleecing an ignorant young/new bassist by selling them just the look and brand of a coveted instrument, with very little of the actual quality.

12. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Inactive

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    I like the small headstock on the none Super J models and I think it seriously cuts down on possible neck dive, especially on the 5 and 6 string models.

13. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

I would love to try one as I would be happy to support the Canadian economy..... plus they look cool. (I have had no GAS for a Lado since the hair metal days, so my Canadian made options are fairly limited:smug:).

The problem for me is that even though I live in Canada (Toronto) I have yet to see one in person. The fanned fret thing looks very interesting but quite honestly, this would be the very last bass I would buy without playing it first.

$900-1200 would be a good thing IF they broadened their distribution model. I.E. Let long & McQuade in Canada and GC in the US sell them.

14. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    If i became allergic to carbon fiber, i would get a dingwall immediately.

15. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Inactive

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Woven graphite necks, like ona Status basses. That said, I'm back to loving wood these days. I'm sure if I got my hands on Dingwall I'd love it!

16. ()smoke()

()smoke()

Feb 25, 2006
    California

i've always been interested in the concept of the brand, but lack of availability to try one before buying has honestly limited my interest...

17. fullrangebass

fullrangebass

May 7, 2005
    Europe
    I had no option to try my first Dingwall back in 1999 so I took the plunge and ordered it sight unseen. Never looked back. No regrets at all

18. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Inactive

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    This too is a problem for me. England certainly has it's share of boutique bass buyers, but a lot of the smaller US brands are scare here. Companies like Status, Overwater, Sei and whatnot do well-being based in the UK. Names like Fodera and Alembic also do quite well, especially Alembic Mark King models (Level 42 had/have a considerable following in the UK).

I certainly like the looks of Dingwall basses and their unique features and pleasing aesthetics would certainly be enough to make me give them a look, and I'd have no reservations about buying a bass with fanned frets without seeing one. For me it's a question of feel and tone. Will the feel suit me? Will the tone be able to match that of my Spector?

I'm probably in the minority, but I feel the fanned fret system is only a small part of the equation, and I'm sure Dingwall owners will agree with me and attest to this!

19. fullrangebass

fullrangebass

May 7, 2005
    Europe
    Take your Spector and go to The Bass Gallery in Camden (London) they have Dingwals there

20. mr.black

mr.black

Mar 4, 2008
    new666jersey
    I love the body shape and headstock!!!
    i would buy one w/o fanned frets and with a conventional bridge.