For those who DON'T like MM Stingray 5s...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by thule, Aug 18, 2005.

1. thule

Oct 30, 2004
    Croatia, Europe
    hi, this is my first post, but i'm not new here, it's just that my english is bad so i'm only reading.... but the time has come for the first post.... :hyper:

ok, this is my situation - i have very big g.a.s. for musicman stingray5, and i've been reading here about that guitar and it seems that (almost) everybody likes it....
    i would like to hear what are the weak points of that guitar and what you don't like about it? (just to help my g.a.s. go away, or just to become little bit smaller ;) )
    especially i would like to hear comments from european users, because i heard that there are different versions for americans and europeans....
  2. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Well, for 1, they look like toilet seats... uhh, wait a minute... hmmm... :confused: . I think I'm thinking of something else.
  3. Mel Monihan

Mel Monihan

Mar 30, 2004
    About the only negative thing I can say about the Stingray 5 is that it is very heavy, if you don't mind that, go for it. It is a great playing and sounding bass.
  4. Sutton

Mar 3, 2005
    Plainwell, MI
    I hate that look of them...but then again, I used to hate the look of Jazz Basses....
  5. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    Great basses.

For a fretted bass, I find the string spacing narrow though.

6. Stingrays just arent really my thing. They're great basses though. I think the sterlings feel a little better though.
  7. Gotta hate that pickguard... They sound rockin though. :bassist:

Never played one unfortunatley because I'm too shallow to get past the looks... :ninja:
  8. old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    A pretty large weak point would be that its kind of a one-trick pony. But like many others will contest, its a damn good trick.
  9. I played one for a bit the last time I went bass shopping and I was really unimpressed. I would just as soon pay $200 for one of the OLP copies if I just HAD to have a MM. I guess its a solid instrument and all, and some people may love it, but I didn't care for the feel of the neck, the tone, the looks, the weight, and most of all, the price! :spit:
  10. Very well made... played a 4 for years in the 70's and a 5 later on. However... as mentioned, the two negatives to me are that the bass is a pretty much one sound bass (but it's a good sound) and primarily the very narrow string spacing on the 5 string. It's an amazing instrument for the price.
  11. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    For that "flavor" of bass, I prefer G&L...which can cover the MM sound, and a whole lot more...
  12. EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    Agreed. There are plenty of basses out there that can get a Stingray tone and much much more. Stingrays are really going down on my list of basses. I keep finding the tone too thumpy (not punchy) with not enough high end and definition.

G&L, Lakland, and many others with MM-style humbuckers will get you great tones. If I were you, I'd look into some decently priced basses that have MM/MM or MM/J pickup configs. Especially if they have switchable coil modes, you can get the Stingray tone and dozens more with more versatility overall.

If I went for a strictly MM tone, I'd just get an OLP and upgrade the pickups/electronics for half the price of a used Stingray.

Just my opinion.
  13. Stingray's are tremendously heavy.
  14. pigpen02

Mar 24, 2002
    I had a stingray five. It was very heavy, so much so that playing it more than an hour hurt my shoulder.

And the neck, too big around, hurt my left hand.
  15. What do you mean with "one trick pony"?
  16. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    It's an English expression which means "it can only do one thing, fulfill one purpose".
  17. not versatile

I only played one long ago, and I remember liking the sound, but like a few people already said, the look is kinda' goofy.

Alot of people seem to prefer them to most anything else in the price range, so clearly they have their niche.
  18. lucas vigor

lucas vigor Banned

Sep 2, 2004
    Orange County, Ca,
    The inablility to completly roll off the treble! You basically cannot get that organic, old -school muted's far to trebly, rough and aggresive for my tastes!

I owned a Sterling, and sold it for a jazz bass and an amp. The sterling is basically a stingray with more options. The bass always sounded aggressive!
  19. lucas vigor

lucas vigor Banned

Sep 2, 2004
    Orange County, Ca,
    Oh, one more thing...the Bongo absolutely blows the stingray and sterling away, can get just about any sound from it...even mimic passive sounds.
  20. FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
    I don't think the stingray is a great value. You're paying for the title and the fact that they're made in the US. Don't get me wrong, they are solidly built, great sounding instruments used by several pros, but i think you can find something similar (like the basses stated in previous posts) for a fraction of the cost.