for those who find ibanez offensive

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fallin65, Jan 27, 2006.

1. fallin65

Jun 10, 2005
    :bag: there are a few people that say they hate/dislike ibanez. i dont quite understand why. there are those, of course, that simply dont like the sound/style, etc. but there are those that dispise ibanez. just wondering why. and how is it pronounced?
  2. It's pronounced I-been-had.
  3. adept_inept

Jan 9, 2006
    they just capitalized by making quality, lower priced gear... that looked exactly like other instruments that were around. however, the new ibanez is not to be rated due to past mistakes. history is history, and things change. now, ibanez has plenty of definitely unique and excellent guitars/basses today.
  4. Because this forum is mainly middle aged/older bassists. Not many younger bassist have a problem with Ibanez, they deliver quality and good sounding instruments for much better prices that Fender etc do.

Ibanez used to be a copy brand, but now they are truly one of the better midrange bass brands.
  5. BillytheBassist

Aug 18, 2005
    It's an image thing. I love my i-been-had's BTW.
  6. fookgub

Jun 5, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Not to be mean or anything, but this thread seems to come up once a month or so. The original poster usually says something like "I don't see why everyone hates Ibanez. I think they're great. Especially for the price." A few people agree, and a few say "I-been-had" or "you get what you pay for." Then the whole business is forgotten, to be repeated in four weeks.

Personally, I think Ibanez makes fine basses, but I also think the quality is in the middle of a serious nosedive. My '98 Soundgear was awesome, but my '04 BTB.... not so much. There is a lot of competition in Ibanez' price range, and I think they're having trouble keeping up.
  7. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    A lot of the bad feeling toward Ibanez is because there was a time when it could be said that it was one of the great japanese bass companies, the same ones that were giving Fender a run for their money back in the day. There was a time when Ibanez had the slogan "The ultimate expression of craftsmanship: and looking at the basses, you believed it. That's a far cry from the stuff that bears the Ibanez name nowadayas and it shows.

Also, people have pointed out that there's a lot more competition than there was back in the day, and compared to other companies offering similar products in every price range, Ibanez falls right down the middle with hardly any redeemable features to make it to the top of the list, other than for the diehard fans of the brand. I think they make fine basses and I own one, but it's not my favorite and I never play it live, as it's stylistically out of date.
  8. Mach1FT

Jan 5, 2006
    Manchester NH
    I owned 3 in the early 90's sdr1000 a 5 string and another cheapy 4 string.. the 1000 had emgs it was so bad I brought it back to the store the day after and they were only gonna give me $320 towards a trade in, Paid $999 the day before.. had a 5 string which had an awesome neck, real comfortable to play, that one had a thinner sound than the 1000 did. 3rd one i wont even mention.. Would have to say all in all they make great canoe paddles tho..
  9. Human Bass

Human Bass

Aug 26, 2005
    Im ibanez is quite offensive to me :p
  10. Some of it has to do with the catalog and marketing images of that same time period. They would show one of their instruments with a new flashy Japanese car in the foreground and a rusted out hulk of an American car in the background, and play up on the implications of that. Slamming the US while trying to market to its citizens is an odd strategy, I know some people who still resent that campain and hold it against Ibanez.
  11. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    Whoa, I didn't know that. Anybody have a pic?

Still, in the end, it's the quality of the instrument that counts, and I think no campaign, good or bad, could have hurt Ibanez more than the quality of the instruments themselves.
  12. g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Ibanez is pretty awesome, in my opinion. they seem to make good quality instruments at a pretty good price.
  13. fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    whats his name who played with the zawinul sindicate and one of the Jaco tribute albums got a great sound out of his
  14. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    i pronounce it I-ba-nez [I = like I am, ba -banana, nez = well-i don't know].

I like some of their basses, for me it's really hit or miss.

There's this used SR406 [i think] at the Guitar Center here, and man-i don't like how the controls are setup, how the hardware looks, or many of the asthetic aspects, but man-it plays and sounds good to me.

I used to really hate the brand, after playing a wider variety [and maturing quite a bit] it's not my favorite brand by any means, but they make some stuff that i would like to buy/recommend to others.

That's all
  15. AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    This feels like a repeat of a thread we just had, someone wants to know what caused the image problem, you tell them. People get upset and it turns into a 5 page Ibanez love fest.
    For us older folks, when we started out, they made copies, nothing original, just copies and they mass produced them and undercut the people they were copying. They sold a ton of Les Paul copies and got sued. They lost. That's what my first impression of Ibanez was and it stuck.
    Then they made the Iceman for Paul Stanley, but what really got peoples attention was when Carlos Santana started playing a signiture model. That's when they stated to gain some respect.
    I have nothing against them, but that's the story from my generation. They make a good product now, but something that comes with age, is being able to afford whatever you want, I like Dingwall and F Bass now and sorry, I won't trade one of those for an Ibanez. But I won't talk anyone out of buying one either.
  16. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    Gerald Veasley.

All his sixers were customs, though...
  17. I like my Ibby. However, Ibanez's tend to have a lot of setup problems out of the box. I also think that their Prestige line of BTB's and SR's get more quality control and are overall better quality.
  18. amper

Dec 4, 2002
    It's ee-BAHN-yess.:eyebrow:

And they make OK stuff. I have a Roadstar II around here that my dad picked up at a flea market that's a great player. Electronics suck, but it feels good in the hands. I do like some of the older Artist series guitars.

But, I probably wouldn't buy an Eye-buh-nezz if I were shopping for a new guitar. They don't really have anything that connects with me these days. Do they have a Sean Yseult Signature Bass?:p
  19. eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    It's like any brand of product. The naysayers have probably had a bad experience with the item and/or the service from the company.
    I believe Ibanez started out much like beringer is currently doing, copying others designs with a slight twist and putting their own name on it.
    Others ,who enjoy the product regardless of it's design origins, are just happy to pay less and maybe don't care about certain quality issues based on what was paid.
    Still, some will shim the necks of their new Roscoe with a credit card and still think their instrument is the berries.