1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

For those who have ever played a Hofner Icon Series Vintage Bass....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by stingray2112, Mar 11, 2008.

1. Do you like it? I played one at the local gc and I liked it, but do they hold up good? And there only $400 or so new, so that's a great price.I just wanted to get some opinions before buying it.

Be Blessed,
    Steve

2. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    I purchased one of the first Icons that arrived in the US. I should have waited until the Contempoary model was released. For a few hundred buck more it is a much better bass. If you are noy hung up on the HOFNER name there are good and better playing violin basses out there under $400/

GM

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I picked one up CHEAP, and loved it. I didn't have any problems with it. But It DID get the tone down, the look down, and the feel down, but felt a little more solid than the real deal (to me anyway)... it all comes down to the plywood vs. carved maple aspect. Plywood feels more solid to me, always.

They're great instruments. They do the Hofner thing great, but they're one trick ponies. If that's what you want, I don't think you can do better than an Icon for the coin.

4. kevinmoore73

kevinmoore73 Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    There's a Hofner Icon hanging on the wall at my local Sam Ash. It's been there for a long time. (Priced at $299 the last I looked.) Compared to the Davison and Epiphone violin basses they also have, the Icon looks like garbage. Bad binding work, finish problems, and glue residue on the fretboard.

5. I also liked the Rogue one that I played, it feels nice and it is under $200, so I might go with that one. I've never played the Epiphone one so I can't say if I like it or not.

6. GoesThump

GoesThump

Jul 13, 2007
    Hi,

I had one & sold it. I preferred the sound/feel of my Jay Turser copy better. It was a good instrument, all the same, I just preferred the JT version.

GT

7. rkingly

rkingly "Playing Reverend Basses on a Regular Basis"

Sep 8, 2007
    Virginia
    Endorsing Artist: Reverend Guitars
    I bought the rouge for 179.00, Great Bass, sounds very authentic for that kind of sound.
    I put half rounds on mine & she kills!!
    Plus the rouge is bookmatched flamed maple, not veneer.

8. I don't know the Epi, but I own the Rogue version and I can attest that its fit and finish is outstanding, build quality is great, and with a set of Labella Hofner flats it sounds excellent. Very much the sound you want in a violin-bass. The Rogue has been a big hit with those who own it, and it's well worth your consideration. I can't imagine that you'd get much more musical value out of spending twice as much on the Hofner.

9. funkytoe

funkytoe Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2008
    Northern California
    My wife got me one as an anniversary present. Although I loved the gesture, I have to admit that, upon playing it, I was not impressed. Fret work was poor -- especially the ends, which were not filed properly. Bridge was tilted forward and the intonation was off. Also, it sounded very tinny with its original roundwounds. On the positive side, the pickups were very strong and the bass resonated very well acoustically. So, there was some good raw material to work with.

I filed and dressed the frets, reset and shaved the bridge, set the intonation, hit the back of the neck with some extra fine steel wool and restrung it with labella beatle bass flats.

Now .. ITS A KILLER! I have a/b'd it with my vintage Hofner and it actually sounds better. This is not just my opinion, I have loaned it out to other bassists for recording work and each of them have offered to buy it at twice what my wife paid for it.

Bottom line: These ICON basses are diamonds in the rough. They definitely need a proper set up and some tweaking. But, once they are set up properly, they are as good or better than any Beatle Bass out there.

10. rfclef

rfclef

Jan 19, 2007
    Woodburn, Oregon
    I have an Epiphone Viola. Love it. Saw a Rogue in a shop this week next to an Epi, and did a quick side-by-side. I always assumed they were the same axe basically, just re-labeled. But close inspection shows some slight differences, and I am not too sure now. (and upon further thought, the Rogues is Made in China, I believe, and the Epi is marked made in Korea... hmmm) Not to knock the Rogue, as I did not plug it in... just observin'...

And for the record, i love my Epi!! love the sound and feel. solid axe.