For those who have made the jump from CRT to LCD monitors

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by ChenNuts44, Jun 16, 2004.

1. Yes

4 vote(s)
  2. No

16 vote(s)
  1. ChenNuts44

Nov 18, 2001
    Davenport, IA
    Ever find yourself missing the CRT? Why or why not?

Also include: What you use your computer for, anything that consumes a reasonable amount of time. If gaming is involved, what kind of games? Movies? Editing? Etc.

Monitor model(s), sizes, resolution/refresh rate used.

Anything else relevant.
  2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I can't stand CRTs.

edit: I use my powerbook(15" widescreen LCD) for music listening and production primarily. I play some games from time to time, but not too often.

at home I use my brothers PC with 21" CRT for gaming, it's a nice CRT as far as CRTs go, but I still feel like my eyesight is getting worse just looking at it for a minute. :meh:
  3. bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    I use my 18" LCD on my Pro Tools (main machine) and a 21" CRT on my Soft Synth Machine/music listening machine. I find the LCD way easier on my eyes than the CRT. Plus, you can't beat the clarity.
  4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I have a flat panel iMac at home and love the screen.

The bigger the screen, the more you'll appreciate an LCD.
  5. Frijoles Negros

Frijoles Negros

Mar 21, 2004
    I will never go back to that flickery image crap. Ever.
    With my laptop, I can write for weeks on end without eyestrain.
    I love it.
  6. If you're a gamer, going from a CRT to LCD is a TERRIBLE idea. Graphics are SO much better on a CRT than they are on a LCD. LCD's always have more jagged edges, and just generally poorer image quality in games. After I made the jump to LCD, I went back to CRT in a little under a month. I'll never go back.
  7. grovest

Feb 26, 2002
    I would like to add if you are considering getting a TFT monitor you should really get one that supports DVI and be sure your video card has a DVI port, too.
  8. Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Agreed. As much as I think it'd be cool to get one of those flash 23" cinema displays from Apple, it's significantly cheaper to just keep my dual 17" setup. Not to mention that there's absolutely nothing wrong with the CRTs I'm using that would make me want to switch.
  9. Well, teh jaggies you're talking about on LCDs are if you're not running at their native resolution--bad stuff happens when you do that. Just make sure you're ready to run everything at 1280x1024. (standard res for most lcds--note that this isn't your standard 4:3 ratio)

Anyhow, the flickering on CRTs goes away when you set your refresh rate at 100hz or so--I absolutely cannot stand 60Hz; it hurts my eyes.

I'm surprised that noone's mentioned ghosting as an issue with LCDs. Basically, it takes a certain time, called the response time (in ms) for a pixel to change color. High response time values can cause blurry/unclear images in games and movies. For college, I'm going to get an LCD to save space, but I'm getting a nice one. (samsung 172X) with a sweet 12ms response time. I'm noticing that the cheaper ones usually don't have DVI inputs, so there's another reason to get a nicer one.
  10. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Never underestimate the power of Display Calibration
  11. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Has the capacity to improve the way your display looks muchly.
  12. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    I don't game, so that's not an issue. For me, the computer is a communication/research/scheduling tool.

I will NEVER go back to a CRT, ever.

Increased desk space, less eye strain, no glare, no flicker....and even though I have a cheap (e-machines) monitor, it looks better than any of the CRT's I've ever looked at. I certainly don't have any of the "ghosting" issues, at least with my application.
  13. Duhhh you won't have ghosting! that's only for games and movies etc, which you said you don't do! And I'm gonna reiterate: if a CRT is hurting your eyes, it's probably because the windows default refresh rate of 60hz is set. Raise it to the max available and the hurtage will go away. (trying badly to avoid pun on "Hertz" :smug: )
  14. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Acer has a new budget 17" TFT that has 16ms response time and DVI, local price seems to be a tad over 400eur. Too bad it's a plain white one, but hey, you can always paint the covers or sumthing.

Sub-20ms is what is considered to be good enough for ghosting not to bother in fast games, but as always, faster is better.

One of my friends is planning to get one of the new Acers, so perhaps I can post a review ;)
  15. LCD all the way.

I use monitors to make my living reading MRIs, CTs, X-rays, mammograms. CRT does give better image resolution but this is when you are looking for 1-2mm abnormalities (tumors, fractures, vascular lesions, etc) that can make the difference between life and death. LCDs can get close to this but are very expensive; you probably don't need that kind of LCD.

I have both at home. I recommend you get an LCD:

great image s/n & resolution if you get a certain "dot pitch"
    much less heat generated
    gives you more space
  16. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    I love the screen on my 15" PowerBook (good to see other Mac users here too!) and I love it. I can work on it for days with no eye strain.

Compare that to the 19" LCD at work even at the highest refresh rate (100 or 120Hz, can't remember) it still dries my eyeballs out. Of course, staring at spreadsheets all day doesn't help either. ;)
  17. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I work as a web developer, and made my boss get me an LCD. Once I got one for my home computer, I had to have one at work. Much less eye strain, and more room on my desk.

I will never go back to CRT out my own volition.