Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

For those who have Mockingbird style body

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CEM, Sep 6, 2002.

1. CEM

CEM Guest

Nov 3, 2001
    Cincinnati, OH
    I am thinking about a Warmoth bass with Mockingbird body but I have some concerns that maybe you can help with.
    Is it comfortable to play standing and sitting?
    Is there a neck dive problem? It doesn't seem as if the upper horn extends out enough.
    I was thinking of getting it made out of Alder which is pretty light I understand.

CEM

2. CEM

CEM Guest

Nov 3, 2001
    Cincinnati, OH
    Does anybody have a Mockingbird body?

3. CEM

CEM Guest

Nov 3, 2001
    Cincinnati, OH
    How many members does TB have? Someone must have one. Nobody? Did I post in the wrong section?:(

4. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    ive never seen a bassist with a mockingbird style bass. Theres either a reason for that or its just not a very desired body style. It pretty much looks like an image thing more than a practical body style.

5. Jodaka

Jodaka

Jun 28, 2001
    Riverview, FL
    my second bass (way back when) was an explorer-shaped bass. i was very uncomfortable playing that bass, sitting and standing. while it's not a mockingbird shape, it's similar, and since noone else seemed to be helping, i thought i'd share...

jdkh

6. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    The problem is that the Mockingbird body (along with pretty much every BC Rich shape) is that it's meant to be a strictly visual component. They don't balance well standing up, because the neck hangs at an odd angle thanks to the lack of any real upper horn (that little nub doesn't work very well), which helps throw the balance off, even if there's some extra beef around the bridge area.

Sitting down, that long curving lower bout actually makes the bass a good sitter. It'll sit right on your lap, and doesn't cause any real discomfort in the leg area.

And yes alder is light. The BC rich basses aren't my bag, but I've spent some time with both the budget line ones, and a high end USA made Mockinbird (though it was unamplified). It played well enough, but the balance issues as well as a price that was pretty much astronomical, kept me from further investigation. That and the pawn shop didn't have any amps, so I didn't push it.

That's my take. Don't read any more into it than that.

7. While we're on teh subject of BC Richs, since it is unlikely to come up again in the near future, does anybody know whether they make a production model 5 string version of the Beast bass? I haven't seen one available, but you'd think a company whose instrument's are so geared towards metal would have a 5 string model. And I don't want to pay for one of the custom USA made models.

8. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Kraig...you're pretty much looking at a USA model for a Beast 5er.

you could re-string it BEAD if you need that B though.

9. CEM

CEM Guest

Nov 3, 2001
    Cincinnati, OH
    :)
    Thanks for the replies! :cool:
    Clint

10. My guitarist is of the firm opinion that BC Rich guitars with EMG's in are the ultimate in guitar sound. Just a shame he can't afford the ones he wants.

IMO, the Kerry King V is the only guitar I'd ever play. It is beautiful.

[​IMG]

11. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I've owned an import 4 string mockingbird bass. I loved the double P pup tone! Just an awesome sounding bass...even for and import. I like the body style as well. Downside?...CRRRRRAAAPPPY balancing. I had to put two new strap buttons on it. One I put 1/2 way up the rear end between the orig rear strap button and the top of the rear. The other I put at the neck joint right where the neck bolts on (this strap button was actually facing the headstock fyi). This strap placement TOTALLY fixed the balancing problems and made the bass a joy to play...sadly I was into 5 strings so I sold it...but I still miss that METAL AS HELL looking bass today!
    -Bazz-

12. How come BC Rich don't make 5 string versions of their basses (except the Innovator)? This seems especially stupid because their instruments are geared towards metal, which frequently requires the lower range.

13. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I've wondered that myself for a long time! If they did...I'd for sure have a 5 string Mockingbird!
    -Bazz-

14. Because they like custom shop orders.

BC Rich basses seem primarily to be geared toward buying cheap and dropping in nice pickups. The looks do the rest. If they offered a 5 string Warlock with Widow headstock in the NJ range, do you really think anyone would buy a custom shop five string from the guys?

BC Rich sells on looks.

15. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    True Dat!
    -Bazz-

16. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Prove it.