Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

For those who have played the Fender Marcus Miller sig bass.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bkchang79, Sep 21, 2002.

1. I went to sam ash today and played the Marcus Miller bass. I was impressed by the quality, sound, price. A couple things erked me, the bass was light. It was lighter then my P-bass and the 70s P-bass, I thought that Marcus used a 70s Jazz Bass which was heavy which made it growl. Whats the deal with the pickguard being slanted? It was harder for my to pluck the string since the string to the pickguard on the G string were close together, I could barley get my index finger between the pickguard and the G string. Other then that, I'll be looking for some used MM sig bass.

2. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Hey, Marcus Miller owner here, and believe it or not I do know him personnally. Marcus M's bass is a seventies- 77 or 78 bass and the new ones are re-issues of that bass. First up ALOT of 70's basses imho sucked the big one (I was there playing), and the weight of them was signifacantly heavier. MM's bass has a preamp added buy sadowsky and the rest of the sound comes from his attack. As for the pickguard maybe YOU should modify your approach to playing it. I play mine with pic up cover on and all.

3. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I had one for a while, but sold it because (1) it weighed a ton and (2) it sounded way too bright, and trying to dial out the excessive brightness did other things to the tone that I didn't like.

The playability, including the clearance between the pickguard and the G string for popping, was fine. It just wasn't me.