1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

For those who have purchased ramps for luthiers...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Libersolis, Jul 17, 2007.

1. Libersolis

Libersolis

Sep 9, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Is it possible to simply call them with your measurements and have them make the ramp for you or do you generally need to send the bass off and have it installed. I am not even going to attempt to make one myself ( I am all thumbs) but would love to have one on my new Yamaha 6 string.

2. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    If you give them measurements they should be able to fit you up with one.

3. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I just email the measure ments (length, width, radius, and how tall I want it to be at the crown of the radius) to Rob Elrick every time I need one and he cooks one up.

4. Simple ramps, i.e. like a broad pickup, are pretty easy to make and should be easy enough to order without going to see your luthier. However for me, I find that I play even better with radiused ramps that also taper to follow the slope of the strings towards the neck. If you want something like this made, be prepared to take your bass in and maybe leave it with your luthier for a few days. It'll be worth it.