Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

For those who like Inlay's

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Apr 9, 2004.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

2. I think it looks great, i respect the detail and art about it. But im a simple man, Ill take simple dots or triangles on my instruments over super fancy things anyday.

3. That is awesome though I hate the body shape! :spit:

4. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    i dare not think about how much it could've cost ... but im sure that money could've bought me a couple of basses, and would be happier with those...

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Nice inlay but i still prefer a clean fretboard, although dots are fine, i like the look of a clean fretboard.

6. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Very impressive. A true work of art.

7. MAJOR METAL

It really is a work of art, what are the chances of the owner giging with it. I wiould probably guess it is a stay home bass ;) .

8. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    What a beautiful piece of work. It's gaudy, yet somehow tasteful. At first glance, it's a lot to look at but it grows on you quickly. Anybody know what the asking price is (just for grins - I know it's way out of my league…)

9. MAJOR METAL

Looks like this would be a heavy bass but alembics do run on the heavy side.

10. dmaki

dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    Chattanooga
    I like the bass, but the inlays are a little too much for my liking... Definately admirable work though

11. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    I was playing with the Custom Quote thing-I found out that inlay cost about the same as a Fodera! ($5500)

12. kmacleish

kmacleish

Nov 19, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    Well, the Custom quote page has a STARTING price of $13,000 with no options selected . . . .

<gasp> Jumping Jelly Jars! Just selecting a cocobolo top adds $800!!!

I'm glad there are craftspeople like this around, but I'd love to know who the customers are for those sorts of basses.

13. Tim Barber

Tim Barber Commercial User

Apr 28, 2003
    Serenity Valley
    Owner: Barber Music
    The crafstmanship is stunning, but taken as a whole the bass leaves me kind of :meh: . IMO the body shape is less than pleasing.

14. MAJOR METAL

Their retail prices are very high but i here most people are able to negotiate with the dealer on price.

15. Can you say Paul Reed Smith Dragon?

Inlay is art but not my cup of tea; I'd have gone with a primo quilted maple top with a paler color.

Body shape can be used to slay a dragon....my precious.

16. MAJOR METAL

Jim i was actually going to say that i my first post.

17. Akito

Akito

Dec 1, 2003
    Spokane
    As an Entwistle fan, I really like the shape.

18. That 'Dragon Wing' bass isa special custom order that was sold by the Alembic distributor in The Netherlands and it went for 16500 euros, which is about 19000-20000 dollars nowadays...

Personally, I think it's too much (the shape, the inlays). My custom made Alembic (hopefully in the not too distant future) will be definitely something else...

19. MAJOR METAL

That is not the bass in the first post, this is just a few months old.This bass would be much much more then that.

20. MascisMan

MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx