Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

For those who like the Rickenbacker 4003

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Alex E, Mar 2, 2006.

1. Alex E

Alex E

Mar 2, 2006
    Hi Kids,

I'm hoping someone out there knows the answer to this. I have a 2006 Ricky 4003.
    The treble pot lifts up and activates a whole new treble sound out of the treble pickup.

My question is: On another post on this website, I've read that owners have modified their 4003s with an operation that I gather is somewhat simple to do.

Is this operation necessary with a 2006 Rickenbacker 4003. Does anyone know?

This humble 'Rick' rookie needs all the advice he can get. Please let me know.
    Love the Rickenbacker. The Fenders are great, as are the Warwick's and the Alembics, but I do love the ricky sound and playability.

Alex E

2. Alex,

No, the operation is not necessary on yours.

The mod that many people did on older Ricks was to remove a capacitor that cut some of the bottom out on the bridge pickup. Later Ricks did not have the capacitor, though I don't know the changover date. In 2006, Rickenbacker decided to add the switch, which let folks either add the capacitor to mimic the "vintage" bridge pickup sound or take it out for the fuller, hotter bridge pickup sound of modern Ricks.

Mike

3. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
  4. Alex E

Alex E

Mar 2, 2006
    Thanks Mike and Max for the peace of mind.

Very good to know!!!