Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

For those who liked Slowounds: What are you using now?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by SuperDuck, May 4, 2004.

1. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I'm reaching the edge of usefulness on my last set of Slowounds that I have strung up on my P. I'm curious to see what everyone who used to use Slowounds has moved on to- I have no idea of what comes close to their sound and feel. What I _do_ know is that I put some XL's on my six string and don't really like them that much. Very "vanilla".

Any suggestions?

2. I've not found my replacement either, but I've been experimenting with Blue Steels, Ernie Balls and Fat Beams. I think the EB's comes pretty close to the SW sound and definitely closer than XL's. The lack a little complexity perhaps, they sound very 2 dimensional if you understand. I really like Fat Beams too, but the lack a little warmth compared to SW's. The Blue Steels I have on now are an old set (3 years I think), and though they're not the same as SW's they sound pretty good. There's plenty of low-end and they are the warmest sounding steel string I've played. Actually I think I need a brighter string than SW's and steel strings seems to apeal to me. I think my next purchase would be a new set of Blue Steels, to see how the hold up when they're not 3 years old and beatened up.
    Other strings I've tried are XL's (ok, but not as meaty and warm as SW's and EB's but mayby a little more complex highend). Sunbeams (a little boring sounding, but I'll give them another chance).
    I would like to try out nickel Lo-Riders (the steel ones didn't do for me), and maybe some La Bella Deep Talking roundwound steels.

Well, don't know if this is any good, but since they're so inexpensive you could try a set of EB's, but mind you I'm playing a Stingray and it seems that Ernie Ball strings fits Ernie Ball basses very well :smug: Else my closest guess would be either nickel Blue Steels or nickel Lo-Riders.

3. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Thanks for posting the link, Smash. This was really meant as a follow-up to that thread, though, to see if any new suggestions have come to people since that time. Hopefully enough time has elapsed from that thread that most people are changing strings and have found something new. I'm just looking for as much info as possible. :D

4. tappel

tappel

May 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    I'm glad I read the entire post before shooting my mouth off. :) I would've suggested trying the same two sets. I currently use La Bella Deep Talkin' Rounds on my P. Those La Bella's feel great and break in so nicely... they're unusual for a stainless steel roundwound.

Tom

5. Hehe, yeah I know it was lengthy ;)
    Though, could you compare Nickel Lo-Riders or the La Bellas to any of the strings I've tried (SW's, EB's, Blue Steels etc). It sounds very interesting.

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I'm still using the slowounds and I still have two spare sets!! ;)

They usually last me at least 6 months and as I play a lot more EUB now anyway - I am in no hurry to replace them!!

7. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I also still have a few sets of Slowounds around. After those are used up, I'll probably use the EXP sets. IMO they are closer to the Slowound tone than XLs.

8. main_sale

main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    GHS Pressurewound look like they would be worth a try.

9. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York