Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

For those who love the lows

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JAUQO III-X, May 11, 2003.

1. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
  2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    that's a nice looking bass - i dig the reverse headstock. what's the tuning on that? low c#?

3. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    I think it's actually tuned in fifths and the botom string is low C.

4. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    I stoped by bobs house yesterday(one of the co owners)and hung for a while if you guys get a chance check the basses out they are offering three models and all are tuned below standard tuning.

p.s.
    for the non believers the basses are very clear in tone :D

5. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    Am I right that the basses are tuned in fifths?

6. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Yes you are Limo.Thats where the Penta derives from in the name.if you or anyone else would like more info contact Bob at bob@pentasystemms.com he can answer all your questions

7. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    I really like the concept. If I remember correctly this concept is a brainchild of Alex Gregory, a guitar player who joined Schecter in the making of the Celloblaster (which is a five string guitar tuned in fifhts), a friend of mine has the Celloblaster and it's very well suiteble for rock and metal. This is just about what I know of this issue. Jauqo: Do you know the standard string gauges on the bass??

8. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    I play guitar tuned to fifths, but the thought of bass tuned in fifths makes my little girlie-hands cry :bawl:

9. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    P.S. There was a thread on this

http://www.pentasystem.com/mm/triple-multi-panar-big.jpg

here a while back.

Looking at this guy's webpage I can't help but think he's a little cuckoo and more than a little full of himself. (Gee, instruments tuned in fifths - who'd have thought of that one?)

10. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    I've just recently got into tuning my bass to fifths. It's pretty cool; opens up some stuff I wouldn't normally play. It's probably not a permanent switch, but it's nice to try it out.

And wait one got-derned minute, Geshel. Flexing my powers of useless memory, were you not recently selling a five-string here on TB tuned in fifths, from E an octave lower than Low E, to C?!? I'm throwing down whatever I have in my hand and calling you a liar!! Ahem. Or... something.

11. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Um. . .no. :)

I sold a five-string. I tuned it DOWN a fifth once, just for kicks (EADGC an octave below low E).

12. rudebob

rudebob

Sep 14, 2000
    Hello Jauqo III-X and all: My name is Bob and I extend to you an invitation to stop by and play a Pentabass like Jauqo did anytime you are in L.A. I am in North Hollywood and there is a fretless Ab pentabass, a fretted Ab pentabass, and a fretted C pentabass (all prototypes) here to check out. Jauqo will tell you that they have incredible tone and balance, aside from the fact that they are 97% in tune, have a five octave range and a harmonic on every fret. My e-mail is bob@pentasystem.com and thanks again Jauqo for the props!

http://www.pentasystem.com

13. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

You're not related to "Deep Bob" at all.....:meh: ?

14. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    You know, I really don't understand this guy's claim that fifths tuning is somehow more accurate or pure than fourths (or any other for that matter). You still have all the same problems with intonation. It's still equal temperament. The tone of any given note is likely to be different given that it'll be at a different fret, and the gauges are likely different. But not better - just different. As far as intervals, the harmonic series of the string's vibration is not changed given the same strings. A major third or sixth played on one of those is still going to have all the same equal-tempered clashes-with-the-harmonics sourness that one on a fourth-tuned instrument will.

Now, there are plenty of reasons for using fifths tuning, so don't get me wrong: I'm not knocking that. But my BS meter gets pretty hot when watching that guy talking about the inherent superiority of it over fourths.

15. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    From the FAQ:

Plain English is nice, but I'd like to see this "mathematically" part in mathematics. The piano has plenty of tuning pitfals, but a guitar tuned in fifths (or anything for that matter) still has way more (frets being the primary difficulty).

Hmm. BS? yup. If anybody can explain to me how the harmonics are any less conflicting, I will eat my shoe. Well, maybe just my words as who knows, I may be wrong. But I doubt it.

Where each instrument in the family has several suggested tunings ranging over three or four semitones. This seems pretty incongruent with the otherwise coherent, rigid methodology which is empasised heavily as what makes any of this noteworthy.

I'm curious to hear their thoughts on Robert Fripp's New Standard Tuning, CGDAEG, which has been in use by him and many others around the world since 1985. I wonder if that G on top makes the harmonics conflict? :rolleyes:

16. All right, the math nerd in me is interested.

17. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    My god, this guy really talks...

I'd really like to see the mathematics and physics backing up this theory - until then I remain unconvinced...

Alex

18. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Wow! And I've been living in only 3 or 4 dimensions this whole time!

I'm going to stop there. There's just too much BS. And I already made my points in the original thread. Let me just say, Geshel, I'm with you all the way.

19. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    ;)

Me too !

Peace, JP