For those who own an active bass, how often do you change the battery?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by hitman9696, Jan 28, 2002.

1. How often do you change the battery - the 9 volt?

I have a DeArmond Pilot Pro and I replace the battery about every month, or more frequently if I played for a long stretch of time during a week. When I attend an important jam session, I often put a new one in. I think I'm too picky and wasting money for nothing. Or, is it ok to do so that often?
  2. EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    It's ok to do that, but it's unnecessary. The battery should last at least a number of months.
  3. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Hey, I have the same bass. ;) Better safe than sorry, if you have the funds, that is. I buy the cheap-o Walgreen's brand 9v's, because even though they don't last as long, I get a butt-ton of them.
  4. old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    I cant remember the last time I put a battery in my bass. They tend to last a very long time. Just cary a spare in you gig bag or in your case.
  5. I've had my 5er for about 3 or 4 years now and have only had to change the battery once. Go figure.
  6. For me, it hasn't come to the point where I particularly NEED to change the battery in my basses, but last time I changed it was before the school fair, when my bands were due to play. It's been about 4 months since then, and the bass is still sounding good. :D
  7. istaticl

Nov 29, 2000
    Prescott, AZ
    After a year of playing i've only changed mine once. Although if I put a new one in I do get a little more volume than with my old battery.
  8. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    About once a month. Actually, I only left one in long enough to go dead once. It took about six months, with regular weekly gigs and practices. And once during that time I forgot and left it plugged in overnight, so it probably would have lasted longer. But better safe than sorry. They don't die suddenly, though. Your bass will start sounding kinda bad and distorted first, so if it happens during a gig it is not a disaster. You can finish the song, and probably even the set first.
  9. Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    Power consumption of active electronics is quite different with different models.

You could buy a 'battery-checker' (I don't know how this is called in English..) - this is a very small and cheap volt-meter which shows you if the battery is good or weak. Also some tuners feature a battery-check mode.

If you really have to change batteries that often you could consider re-chargeable batteries and a charger - well worth the investment on the long run! (and helps to save the environment too)

10. I have an active MIJ Fender P-Bass Lyte. I have to change the batteries every month or so when I'm playing lots. That might be because I have the filters on all the time, bass on 10 and treble on 0. :)

I would really prefer it to be passive, much less bother.
  11. I change mine every two months without fail. It's only a miserable battery, after all.
  12. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I had a P-Lyte, and only had to change the batteries every 6 months, with heavy use. Are you unplugging the bass when you aren't using it?
  13. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    Less often than I used to after I learned to unplug it every time and use the by-pass when practicing.
  14. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...what battery?

Then again, maybe that expalins the 'Larry Graham'-like tone I've been gettin'...
  15. Of course, Showdown. Always take the lead out - I'm so used to it that it feels funny looking at my Strat with the lead still in.

Maybe it's the batteries. Or my cable is shorting or something.

16. I see that everyone has there own preferences, but I honestly think that they must last for, at least, 3-6 months. But, I always want to be on the safe side. Besides, what I like about my bass is that there is a seperate battery compartment in the back. So, all I have to do is to unscrew two screws and pop in the new one.

This whole battery problem has made me think twice about active basses. I know it's not the end of the world, but it would be nice to never think about it. I've been planing on getting a new bass this summer, so I'm gonna look carefully. Right now, my choice is the Fender American Deluxe Jazz. It's active. Anyone got any good things to say about it? How about the 2 band preamp Stingray (passive...?)?:rolleyes:
  17. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I think changing batteries is a lot like changing strings: strings can last years, but it's up to you to know when they have lost a certain amount of tone that you don't like anymore.

I've noticed the same with batteries, they don't suddenly just die, they generally lose tone over a period of time like strings.

I change my battery about once every two or three gigs, then again, I'm using cheap batteries I bought at the dollar store.
  18. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

...and that's in over 7 years of owning active basses.

I replaced the 2 in my Electra-Westone about 8 months ago, they were the ones the bass had when I bought it almost 8 years ago(Duracells). The output had gotten weak so I knew that it was time to change them.

I replaced the 2 in my Ibanez SR506 about 4 months ago, they were the original chinese or korean batteries with all of the hieroglyphics on them. Again, the output had gotten weak.

And last Sunday, at church, my Zon started cutting out real bad, sounded like it was shorting out. Sure enough, replaced it with one of those new E² Energizers, and it sounded fine. Why not buy the best? I wanted to put a lithium 9 volt in it, but apparently since Kodak got out of the battery business everyone else quit making lithium 9v and AA batteries.

I always keep a spare name brand(Energizer or Duracell) 2 pack in my bag, just in case. I wasn't a Boy Scout, but I believe in their motto.
  19. I have a Musicman Sterling and change the battery about once a year.

I use good batteries (Duracell) and can honestly say it doesn't seem to make any difference to the sound, so I probably don't need to change it that often. The old one usually end up in my kids toys for a while anyway.

I always unplug my lead when I'm not playing, and I write on the battery when it was installed as I would never remember when I changed it otherwise. I used to carry a spare, but haven't bothered this last year.