? for Those Who Play 6 or More Strings

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by rickbass, Feb 4, 2004.

1. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Just a very non-scientific question for anyone who comfortably plays a bass with six or more strings------ how good are you/were you in school at math ???

Sometimes, I think playing a 5'er is my limit because math and geometry were always my worst subjects in school.

Thanks for any input.
  2. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    I can't comment as the most I play (at the moment) is 5 (my next bass will be a 6), but that is a very interesting concept/theory you have. I wonder if there is any connection...
  3. Markdezy

Jan 24, 2004
    I am very good at math/algebra/geometry. But I only have gathered the money for a 4 string. :bawl: I hope to be getting a Conklin 7 soon or build my own. Either way, I need more strings.
  4. darkspec

Jan 2, 2003
    Cleveland Ohio
    This is a weird theory. Im obsessed with a 6string at a local music shop...play the darned thing everyday. Im hoping to get the new 6er from rondomusic when it comes out, or the HXB they got....Ive only played 1 7 string and I loved it....But even weirder, Ive had a A in math class all my life, I took calculus class freshman year, and I dont technically have to take math anymore..... They just put me in the classes to give me something to do.
  5. rickbass

Well, when you think about it, spec, a 6-stringer or more requires some very quick calculations in their heads to give them optional notes that sound consonant........or at least, "good" until it becomes second nature.

I'm, in no way, saying that a 4-string player is a bimbo. If anything, a good 4-string player is gifted, (a la Tommy Shannon).

But there's not much music written for 6+ stringers and they have to make instantaneous decisions about which notes to play.
  6. I'm quite good with math and I'm a good ol 4 stringer. Played a bunch of 6 strings and stuff but don't feel like jumping into anything greater than 4 at the moment. Pretty good theory, though.
  7. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Hmmm, math makes me itch....:)
  8. TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    cool thread...I'm playing a 5er now...but I loved my 6 string for some of those reasons--more options across/calculating. I love math too...maybe you're on to something!! :hyper:
  9. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    I'm decent at math, and I play 7.
  10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I plae a 6, and I took preclac in thrid graed.
  11. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Well, I'm okay with math; I can do applicable math like standard algebra and basic stuff with ease, but I was never able to wrap my head around anything advanced. I also play a six-string now and played a seven for a while, so I don't know how well the theory would apply to me. Then again, maybe my playing is as mediocre as my math skills :D
  12. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    I'm not sure there's a clear link, although I think the pursuit of both maths and music can support and inspire each other. I was fairly good at maths (high A level grade and later gave some private tuition up to that level) and mainly play six strings.

However, I reckon most of us can easily count up to at least six so I don't think mathematical skill has a huge amount to do with it.

13. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    my math is horrible. but awesom when i use a spreadsheet such as Excel :D

i play a six
  14. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I play a seven, advanced math class all the way through high school, logic courses at Umass, etc. I was a comp. lit major though. Go figure. I see my seven as an extension of what I already know on a four, as I tune BEADGCF . All it really does is increase the range I can get, which makes things more flexible for me. Know what I mean? the subconcious patterns that my brain "gets" on a four also work on a seven, no problem. Good question!
  15. rickbass

Just to clarify, friends, this thread is not implying that someone who plays a 4-banger is a math idiot. My gawd, some of the best bass-slingers I know of are 4-stringers. And when I get get in a checkout line, I'm tempted to show some idiot in front of me which coins to put down on the counter!

And I don't buy into the saying at all that "music is math."

But, I know I have to sit there and put some effort into transposing music that is written for a 4-string when I've used a bass with more than 4.
  16. NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    I was always bad at math, but I play 6 string Bass and 6 string
    Fretless Bass very well.
  17. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    I truly suck at math. I failed 2nd semester Geometry last year, and i'm retaking it now-i have a C. I think i'm going to fail 2nd semester Algebra 2 [i have a 36%], even though i got a C last semester in it. I only play a 5 string at the moment-however, i am fascinated by the 7+ basses-i think having a Conklin 9 would be awesome, but the cash limit won't allow me to. I have considered trying to build a 7 string bass after i do a few more 5s.

That's all
  18. andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    i'm really really bad at math (probably failed this quarter), but i play a six mostly. not too bad at it, i guess.
  19. ashbory

Jun 13, 2000
    The Hammer
    I find it easier to play an even number of strings 4 or 6. I find 5 or 7 strings messes with my brain. I find the symmetry makes it easier to think about. I'm not a math wiz.
    I'd be interested to see if the same question asked about odd or even number of strings.
  20. XlilmetalchickX

XlilmetalchickX Guest

Jan 13, 2004
    i'm good in math in certain areas. i'm horrible in algebra and stuff but statistics and geometry i'm good at. the more "artsy" maths and i play a 5 string. once i get this down i plan on moving up. i basically wanna be able to play any kind of bass you hand me.