for those who play accoustics

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by C//LiMBa, Jan 29, 2003.

1. is it possible to place a thumb-rest on an accoustic?? i just bought a Stagg accoustic and it sounds fabulous, but i cant easely play with my fingers because i cant rest my thumb...
  2. i've played acoustics with thumb rests before, so i'm sure it's possible. i dunno how you'd go about putting on on yourself though.
  3. maybe glue is the best method idd, because if you use screws and you want to take the thumb rest of it aint gonna be a pretty view.

and can i make the thumb-rest myself? if yes: how? if no: where can i buy it??
  4. they usually have fender plastic screw-on ones in almost all music stores. you might wanna make a wood one to glue on, though.
  5. I use a suction cup from those suction cup window hangers with the hook removed. 10 for a buck at the dollar store (spares) and no messy glue or screw holes. Maybe I should package them, call them something clever like ---ahhh--
    "Magic Thumbrest!" and sell them at music stores for a dollar or 2 a piece, I could be the next Jim Dunlop, yeah and then.....and then...and then.....
  6. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I use the neck of my acoustic as a thumb rest. this forces me to pluck over the neck, which sounds wonderful. Try it, you may just like it.
  7. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Here's a webcam picture of me playing my bass to illustrate the neck thumbrest technique:

Here's a little 1 mb video clip I put together with the webcam, please don't bust too much on my playing. :)
  8. nice Philbiker, sum good chillin' bass!