Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

For those who replaced Geddy tuners

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Cristo, Oct 18, 2005.

1. I've searched through the forums already, and it seems that people have either used Hipshot HB2 or Schaller BMFLC tuners as replacements for the machines on the Geddy.

Also, some variety of Hipshot ultralights.

A couple of questions for those who have done this...

1. Are the correct tuners a CBS/Kluson style?

2. Are these DIRECT replacements (drop right in)? I don't care to drill holes, etc. Just turn screws.

3. Best place to get them? Direct from Hipshot, $88 for the HB2, Schaller $95 @ allparts.com

4. Did you notice a difference after the change? I mean more than just "it looked cool" or whatever, but an actual difference in tuning ability/stability?

2. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    They are Kluson style, they are drop-in, the Hipshots are great to get direct, and they are far smoother.

3. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    The HB-2 is what you want for that bass. I thought the Kluson style referred to the reverse tuners on Pre-CBS basses. That would be the HB-3's

According to Hipshot's website, Fender basses from 1966, to 1982 used the Schaller BMFL tuner.

Given the choice between Hipshot and Schaller, I'd get the Hipshots! I just put HB-1's on my MIM Precision deluxe. I'm very happy with them.

BTW www.bestbassgear.com has the best deal on Hipshot tuners IMHO. Brian hooked me up with my HB-1's-the set was 68 bucks. I see the HB-2's listed at $75

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    The Hipshots are an improved version of the BMFL for just about the same price. Certainly worth the spare money, especially when you can get a matching Detuner.

5. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001

If you check around, you'll find that in some cases the Hipshots are actually cheaper. IMHO, after now experiencing the Hipshot HB-1 tuners, I would recommend Hipshots over today's Schallers hands down.