Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

for those who use BDDI as a preamp...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by resol, May 24, 2005.

1. resol

resol Guest

Feb 21, 2005
    is it any good? i'm only thinking of using the BDDI as a temporary preamp solution (no cash)...but i need a rig thats powerful and cheap - i play in a praise/worship band that plays mainly rock/pop, so the EQ restrictions on the BDDI aren't a huge issue

rather than buying a head, i was thinking maybe play thru the BDDI as a dedicated preamp thru a nice power amp...i'll get an RBI or something as cash comes along

2. There are a couple of different versions of the BDDI previous to the programmable one. The main difference relates to if there is a line output switch. If your BDDI has this switch, then you can use it as a preamp prior to the poweramp. If it doesnt have this switch it can be modded to increase the level of the output so it can be used as a preamp.

Tech 21 included this switch because they received requests about doing the mod. The BDDI can be used as a preamp with either the switch or the mod activated, but Tech 21 recommend using the Sansamp RBI for regular preamp use, as the 9 volt output of the BDDI may not be enough to drive a poweramp regularly.

I currently use two BBDI in my rig (one is borrowed :( ) for our worship band - one first in my chain for a bit of overdrive and one last in the chain as a preamp prior to my Ashdown ABM 500. It took me a while to find the right settings, but now I love it.

Its great being able to rock up to a soundcheck, plug into the BDDI's with my amp EQ'd flat and know I am going to get a consistent tone to what I had last time. The BDDI seems to reduce the effects of string decay quite well, and I find a small adjustment on any of the settings can go a long way. You can also get that huge SVT tone your looking for, with a passive or active bass. The BDDI is one of the best investments I have made in my rig (sound guys and recording engineers agree!). Now if only I could work out how I can get a programmable one to appear in two different positions simultaneously on my pedalboard!

3. I've done it through the power amp of my Behringer in order to bypass the Behringer's bright pre. It sounded quite good. I'm not sure about power issues with separate poweramps or anything, but it seems to sound good.

4. resol

resol Guest

Feb 21, 2005
    i've got the newer one, with the line out switch..

so does this mean that it would be ok to use as a preamp for now? i don't want to buy a head that i may not use in the future...so i wanna make sure i the BDDI WORKS WELL and go ahead and buy a poweramp as opposed to a head

5. It should work just fine for any 'normal' power power amp. Some of the really high-power power amps (above 2000 watts) require a high input voltage to drive the amps to full power.

An easy test would be to just drag the BDDI to your favorite music store and hook it up to some power amps.