For those who want to age their flats quickly...

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by tallboybass, May 14, 2009.

1. tallboybass

tallboybass Supporting Member Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    ...try Aquaphor Healing Lotion by Eucerin®

Made a new set of Fender9050M's sound 4 years old.

Alan

2. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    How did you come across this discovery? What method was used to apply? Where do you find this product. :bassist:

3. Delta_Petra

Delta_Petra

Feb 26, 2008
    Portland, OR

That is easy, I still have a big tub of it from all my tattoos.

You can get it from just about any drug store.

heynorm likes this.
  4. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection. Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Good tip.

5. winterburn69

winterburn69

Jan 27, 2008
    Saskatchewan
    If I played flats this would be helpful. But it sounds helpful anyways.

6. HateyMcAmp

HateyMcAmp Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2006
    Krivo Pickups
    Do you just rub them down? My current flats are on year three for my (only) bass, so a breakage might come sooner than later. I'm not looking forward to bright, new flat tone.

7. lanceropolis

lanceropolis

Mar 10, 2009
    So. Cal
    If you just gave them to me to touch I can do it. I have been cursed with acidic hands.

8. tallboybass

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Just apply with paper towel then wipe off. I've used moisturizing lotion before and this is the king of lotions. Doesn't come off as easily as others when used on hands so I just figured it would do the trick. It does. Available at finer drugstores everywhere. If you've got dry cracked hands in the winter this stuff really helps.

9. It will also kill rounds quickly too I found out when I first started. I've got dry hands so I use lotion frequently, now I just make sure to lotion long before picking up the bass or just lotion after I'm done playing. The Aquaphor is the best for fixing cracked skin on the knuckles. Too many years of turning wrenches and using harsh chemical and cleaners have taken their toll on my hands.

10. tallboybass

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Trudat.

11. tallboybass

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Update: This stuff kills'em DEAD! If I could do it again, maybe a slightly less effective method would be better...like a less aggressive moisturizer.

12. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    There's always regular Eucerin cream.

13. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    In the early days of Bass Player Magazine, Anthony Jackson wrote a regular column for a couple of months. In one of them, he discussed his admiration for Philly session bassist Ronnie Baker. Jackson mentioned that Baker was known to slather newly purchased strings with butter or Crisco and let them sit for weeks (or months) so he always had backup strings ready that had the dead, worn-in sound he wanted.

I never tried this, but I'm in the mood for a grilled cheese sandwich, so off I go.....

14. tallboybass

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Just a little bump in the night...

15. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Do they sound 9 years old now?

16. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    lol
    But this stuff does work well. I took the same advice from JimmyM awhile back and where i wouldnt say they sound like years old flats it for sure took the newness out of them nicely.

17. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    I started my own thread, but I wanted to add it here too. I use mustache/beard wax. Just a little bit rubbed between the fingertips until soft and tacky, then I rub my fingers along the string a few times. I repeat the process about 2 or 3 times. It works well. I had a pack of Labella flats that had a very bright D string and now it sounds like the other. The effect was immediate.

18. Luckydog

Luckydog

Dec 25, 1999
    Any...Any lotion will quickly remove zing. Been doing it for decades. No specific brand is necessary. They All do the job.

19. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    It puts the lotion on its string or else it gets the hose again.

20. tallboybass

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Luckydog, they all work, yes, but to varying degrees. The Aquaphor does more deadening than the other moisturizers I've tried.

fourstringdrums, I can see where the beard wax would work extremely well.

It's all a matter of what you've got laying around. Aquaphor is a must have for folks with cracked skin, especially in the winter. Also good for new tattoos, as Delta_Petra pointed out above ^!

If you leave it on longer, it does more, seems to get in the string and stop the 'shing' better.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 27, 2021