Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

For those who want to play Jazz - how many Jazz albums do you own?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Bruce Lindfield, Jan 19, 2004.

1. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I was helping out yesterday at an event run for young people who want to play Jazz.

There was a discussion session for rhythm section players, at one point in the middle of the day and the session leaders asked the students what Jazz CDs they owned and who they listened to, to get inspiration.

It was evident from the answers, that we were looking at 30-40 young aspiring musicians who had maybe a handful of Jazz albums between them.

So, the course was emphahsing that you need to listen to this stuff if you hope to be able to play it - which seems obvious to me and I have a large collection of CDs which I listen to for inspiration and ideas for what I should be playing.

But it struck me that we get lots of questions on here about what to play over "such and such" tune or chord sequence.

Does anybody think they can play Jazz (or any other style of music) without having a large amount of listening material available?

2. I own about 20 or 30 jazz records. Alot of Miles Davis, John Coltrane and Bill Bruford's Earthworks.

I think it's crucial that in order to play jazz, you need to get familer with it. Jazz has a pretty laid back feel. And alot of the people in my school who want to be Jazz Singers don't really get the "feel" of jazz.

3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I got a bunch myself, but I've always relied on other people to get my jazz fix. A friend of mine(and roommate) has over 500 CDs and at least half of them are all jazz records.

4. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I need more jazz albums..
    I have 3 Icelandic cd's, one Marcus Miller cd, 5 Jaco cd's, one Miles Davis collection and one John Coltrane collection.

I have to buy more cd's!

5. Lovebown

Lovebown

Jan 6, 2001
    Sweden
    Having a lot of records of diffrent artists and style is great and mandatory ,but...........
    there's nothing that can replace the educational and inspirational experience of going to see jazz LIVE!

For myself, I'm very much in my formative years still and will be so for a good while... I'm definately absorbing as much recordings and live gigs as I can.

/lovebown

6. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...I couldn't disagree more.

7. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I think it's less about that, jazz is a fairly cerebral style, and most people are too lazy to learn it.

myself included. :meh:

8. Well. It CAN be rushed, uptempo, and at 250 BPM, but there is still an undertone of "If I screw up, I'll just go right along, no worries." IMHO.

And WR: I'll agree, Jazz is a really mind-heavy genre, but I think everybody just really gets caught up in the theory of it all. I'm not saying that we should all forget it, but just feel it. You can play the root of the chord, and still make it as jazzy and funky as you wanna be if you feel it.

9. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    I only have about 100 jazz CDs at the moment: decent range of styles - big-band, vocal, bebop, hard-bop, free/avant, soul-jazz, fusion, modern.

I think listening to a large range of music can only be a good thing - the larger the better.

Bruce, which were the "handful of jazz albums" that the students had?

10. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Does anybody think they can play Jazz (or any other style of music) without having a large amount of listening material available?

I think I could sing or hum the heads to quite a few standards from memory, so I'd answer with a qualified "yes". With that knowledge, and the charts, I have managed to fool most of the people some of the time. Of course, the more takes on a tune I can listen to, the better the chances that I might come up with something harmonically interesting.

I used to have a few hundred jazz LPs, and gave them away to the local radio station eventually. I probably own a bit less than 100 jazz CDs right now. I'd buy a bunch more if I landed a jazz gig though. People tend to give me CDs if they want me to learn a specific tune, in whatever style. I have a lot of charts I need to connect with recorded performances right now though.

I agree with the guy who mentioned going to see live shows too. I think I learned far more about playing approaches from going to a zillion shows. I was lucky enough to grow up near NYC and Boston. I only get into Portland to see a few big names a year now, and I know my musicianship has suffered for it.

But my question would be: how's your local radio scene for jazz? I used to depend on radio, and I still get a couple of good shows a week on community radio. Any web or satellite stations of note that I'm missing out on?

11. ole Jason

ole Jason Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Louisville, KY
    I have quite a bit and it's always growing. Certainly I think it's important to listen to a genre to really play it. Live jazz is still the best teacher in my opinion, however.

12. Does anybody think they can play Jazz (or any other style of music) without having a large amount of listening material available? [/B][/QUOTE]

Having a large amount of listening material as a point of reference.
    It's also interesting to hear how many varied musicians might cover a particular standard.
    Chick Corea: 'Spain'--both band as well as the more recent orchestral offering.
    Keith Jarrett and Pat Metheny's respective groups covering a golden-oldie standard: 'Yesterdays' or
    'All the things you are'.

13. Easily over 500.....in vinyl alone.
    No idea how many in either CD or DVD format.
    Worse yet, it's time to get them all in A-Z order.

14. Bruce Lindfield

One of them said they had a Dave Brubeck album but wasn't sure what it was - a couple said Jamie Cullum's album - that's about as much as I can remember now! I remember one said - does Dido count? ;)

I was more remembering the conversation in the pub with the tutors afterwards, where one of them said this (i.e. A large group like that, with maybe a handful of Jazz albums between them)and it struck me then.

15. Bruce Lindfield

Well - in the UK there is very little if any, Jazz on the radio - Jazz FM is noted for not playing any Jazz at all!! ;)

16. Bruce Lindfield

Well - the thing is that a lot of people may not be anywhere near a real Jazz venue.

Also - I agree if you have access to good Jazz - but I know in the UK that people might only get to see a poor standard of Jazz played in local pubs....

Having seen some of this- I'm inclined to think it would put you off Jazz for life - if anything!! ;)

17. I have about 10 Miles albums, 2 Coltrane, 2 Brubeck, and a few others such as Monk, Red Garland, Weather Report etc; not a massive collection but I'm working on it :)

Also, as for going to see live Jazz, I have to agree with Bruce :)eek: ) there isn't much good stuff around in the UK, best live jazz I've seen was in Rome.

18. Electricmayhem

Electricmayhem

Dec 18, 2003
    NH
    My jazz collection is pretty small as I've just started getting into it, but I've got some Miles, a Weather Report disc and one Jaco.

Also, I have Medeski, Martin, and Wood.:D

19. Da_Niet

Da_Niet

Jan 23, 2003
    California
    That's like asking, "Does one have to live the blues, in order to play it?" I think in the case of both.....to an extent, it DOES matter. Blues is about feeling, and bringing that emotion out in a well-articulated way. Jazz is similar in that regard, however, one MUST innately know what's going on--in the music-- to fully express oneself in a truly representative way. Because of the complexity of the music, the musician MUST know(not necessarily in notation) where the chords are going, the tempo, and the role of the other musicians. That is much aided if one has a fairly extensive knowledge of the music. Hence, a large jazz collection that is listened to thoroughly and understood by a capable musician, can be the edge one needs to be a more inspired jazzer.

Plus, it helps if you genuinely like the music, too.
    :bassist:

Oh yeah...............I have a HUUUUUUGE collection.

20. Look, man , jazz music is in constant evolution,like everything,always moving,jazz is different nowadays,and it will never be the same again,which is the reason that keeps me listening and playing jazz.