Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

For those who wear their basses high

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by i like tictacs, May 8, 2004.

1. What type of strap do you use? I picked up a Levy's something or other, and it looked short, but it really isn't. :meh: I'm talking, I want it up in between my stomach and chest, and this thing just has it at my crotch at it's shortest. Ugh...

2. josh_m

josh_m

May 5, 2004
    Davie, Fl
    I use a canvas Levy's strap, I wear my bass a couple of differant heights depending on the style that I've been known to put it up between my chest and stomach. Why didn't you try it on in the store? You also have to keep in mind the size of the player, if I put on my friends bass it hangs in a real uncomfortable spot around my waist but on him its on his chest.

3. It was free, I didn't ask questions :meh:

4. josh_m

josh_m

May 5, 2004
    Davie, Fl
    Mine was like $10 at GC and I have a pretty small build (6ft tall, 130 pounds...) so if there is one in your area go there I guess? Be sure you try it on though and make sure it will get you to the height you want.

5. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    I use an altlas 3" leather strap at a moderately high setting. It is a great looking strap, incredibly comfortable, decreases neck dive problems, and can be had for ablout $30 at a GC. I started using them, because my shoulders were aching every time I played my Peavey T-40 bass. It weighed a ton.

My fellow musicans all make fun of me for wearing my bass so high. But... its the only comfortable playing position for me.

6. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Just use an Ernie ball 2" nylon strap.

7. If you like the padding over the shoulder, etc, you could modify the existing strap to the length you want. Whatever you have that fits your buttons, keep it and use it as the end of your new strap.

The strap I bought was two layers of leather sandwiching a foam rubber layer, but I didn't like the adjustable bit. A piece of black webbing and a sliding buckle from a camping/outdoor-leisure shop, and I now have a bass strap that is infinitely adjustable, and cannot fall off at the end of its range.
    My bass is clear of my legs when I sit down, but has enough spare strap to hang low when I stand up.

8. I forgot to add i'm looking for a nice fat one, my Warwick ain't the most feathery thing out there. Thanks for all of your help.

9. I use a Gibson guitar strap that'll adjust up enough to choke me, but I usually keep it between my chest and stomach. Its the first one I ever got, I like it.

10. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    i use a Guvnor strap, was only like.. 4-5 quid.

11. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    I have no clue who makes the strap I have but, It's a 3" wide padded leather strap that allows me to keep the top end of my bass about nipple high. I don't care what other people think about how it looks. I like it that way. I think I got it at GC.

12. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    All of my straps, but two, are Levy's. The shortest is a $49 3" one(Levy) I got at Music-Go-Round...

13. i use a no-name 3" light tan strap, i actually shortenend it a bit more, so when i sit down in a classical stance thingo, when i stand up its in the exact same position as when im sitting down...very comfortable...i wanna get the fender 3" gel strap though, but at $80 aus its not too high on the priorities

14. I just picked up a no-name strap today. For 6.50 I couldn't be happier, it's short as I need and although its a little thin it's not bad.

15. ubersam

ubersam

Oct 12, 2000
    L.A.
    I use Comfort Strapp, Pro Bass Short. I'm very satisfied with them.