For those with experience: 70's Ampeg V4B vs SVT

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassment zombie, Jun 9, 2003.

1. Can you try to describe the differences in overall tone between these two classics?

I live in Boston, and here in Beantown, the majority of venues are small-medium sized venues. This causes me to think that despite the discrepancy in power as compared to the SVT, perhaps the V4-B might be all I really need to play around here? Granted, rehearsals tend to be much louder, and perhaps it might be borderline for them, but for gigging locally, I think it might just be all I need (anyone with experience please feel free to chime in and steer me in the right direction :) ) ...

As well, the V4-B is quite a bit less expensive....however, I'm quite willing to wait a while longer to save up to afford the 70s SVT(which is simply THE classic)if it would really be worth it for me.

As well, those with experience, can you chime in and share your experiences for just what sorts of cabs the V4-B is able to power well? If I'm correct, they used to be sold back in the day with a 2x15 cabinet where one '15 (or both?) were pointed/angled towards the ground...?

Anyhow, I'm certain I sound silly enough, your help is greatly appreciated...thanks in advance :D
  2. If you're an Ampeg fan, save up for the SVT. You won't regret it.
  3. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

4. I think I'm qualified to speak here owning both a V4B and an SVT both from the early 70's. I got the V4B first while I was searching for an SVT. Loved the sound I got out of it but eventually I found it would only go so far in terms of volume. After about 5 or 6 it wouldn't get louder just more distorted and not in a good way. I was just using an Ampeg 410 cab (8 ohm) so I tried adding a second cab to load the amp a little better but it didn't give me any more volume, in fact I think a little less. The head also developed some internal problems and started blowing fuses like crazy. It was in the shop a few times but never really got sorted out. Finally I found an SVT. Same great tone but tons more volume. I'm using it now with the same Ampeg 410 cab and an SWR 212 cab (8 ohms as well). I play it with no eq-ing at all, just flat controls along with my 73 Fender Precision and people ask me how I get such a great tone after shows.
    I've relegated the V4B to studio duty and now I think I may even like it's sound better than the SVT when it's not stressed too hard. The two amps have identical preamp sections so I'm not sure why that might be but the difference is not huge. If anything I think the V4B might be slightly warmer but that might just be because I'm pushing the power amp harder to get to my regular playing volume than I would have to using the SVT.
    Anywayz, tonewise I'm sure you'll love both. It's likely the V4B won't be enough but depending on your music I might be wrong there. You really can't go wrong with an SVT as long as you have a strong back (or roadies).
    CHeerz (sorry for rambling)