1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

For those with low/fallen arches

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Stinsok, Apr 19, 2015.

1. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I've been looking for some insoles or orthodics for quite a while. The problem I have with insoles, etc. is that most aren't full length. You can't put them on top of the existing shoe pads. If you use the arch support by itself the rest of your foot is going to take a lot of punishment.

Do any of you with this problem have a recommendation? Thanks!

2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I went to all kinds of podiatrists and got all kinda of fancy insoles when I was a teenager to deal with my flat arches. After a while I just wore whatever shoes I wanted and lived with having flat feet. I really don't notice any issues with it.

3. GKon

GKon Supporting Member, Boom-Chicka-Boom

Feb 17, 2013
    Queens, NY
    I suffered with low/fallen arches for years, not realizing that's what was causing my foot pain, pulled and torn leg muscles.
    Also, being a martial artist, I spend a lot of time barefoot, which doesn't feel good at all, and caused a lot of damage
    (funny thing is, when I was a kid, I LOVED always being barefoot. Can't do that much anymore).

The best thing I ever did was have custom insoles made for me. Went to a podiatrist that has a pressure sensitive
    pad on the floor. You walk on it, it reads all of your info - how you step, where you put your weight, etc.
    They are custom fit to you. They are full sized and cover the entirety of the inside of your show.
    Since using them, I have experienced little or no pain and discomfort.

Also, as I have new ones made every year, I've noticed that my arch and weight distribution have gotten better
    over time, due to the improved and correct support.

Well worth the money, as far as I'm concerned.

FYI, when I am teaching/training and barefoot, I wrap a piece of tape (hockey type tape, but medical tape works, too) once
    around my foot, under the arch and over the top of my foot. Not too tight, but just enough to give me some support.
    This allows me to be barefoot and train for many hours without any problems. Best thing I ever discovered.

4. Arvin

Arvin Underwound Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2008
    On the bench
    Phalex and NWB like this.
  5. placedesjardins

placedesjardins

May 7, 2012
    Superfeet thanks you for your contribution. We'll be sending you your discount code by e-mail.

6. Arvin

Arvin Underwound Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2008
    On the bench
    Haha, I wish. I need another pair. My 10-year old pair is stained and frayed, after wearing them at work daily, and backpacking all over creation with them. They still work fine, though.

Seriously, these things are awesome. I wear them because I have flat feet, and I love hiking. A sales guy at REI put me onto them years ago, and they completely changed the game for me. There's a guy at work that was given the "surgery is your only option" speech from two different podiatrists, regarding his plantar fasciitis. He started wearing these daily, never had surgery, and is pain free.

All for about the cost of a set of flatwound strings.

NWB and GKon like this.
  7. those dr. scholl's heel inserts that you stand on the machine to determine type you need work ok, if you're walking around. Unfortunately I stand in one spot constantly at work which just compacts them and wears them out like any other insole. I used to wear the reebok walking shoes which worked well, but I guess they shopped making them or changed them to not have that front to back air padding. When not at work I can get away with my Teva sandals, which are comfortable. But for shoes... I have yet to find a long-standing solution.

8. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    central NY state
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I have the reverse problem - arches are too high - such that with normal shoes, there's no support under the arch at all (well, there is, just doesn't even touch the bottom of my arches). But strangely, that leads to the same problem - the higher the arch, the more of a problem when it collapses (causing plantar fasciitis). So now I'm on custom fit orthotics for the rest of my life (but will still check out those links - there are situations I don't take my good orthotics into - like kayaking).

9. NWB

NWB

Apr 30, 2008
    Kirkland, WA
    I'm in the same boat as you with the high arches and plantar fasciitis. I have custom insoles, but I use the Superfeet as well and they work quite nicely. They are great for backpacking.

bholder likes this.
  10. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
  11. I have been wearing prescription, custom-made orthotics since the late 90's. I had plantar fasciitis in one foot and problems in the other. They are immensely helpful and have cured the original problems.

I have two pairs, both of which support the entire foot, front to back. One pair is more substantial and used in dress shoes and hiking boots; the other is lighter, thinner and more flexible, and is used in athletic shoes. But they're the only thing that enables me to walk distances. Even after using them for years, I can only walk about 9 holes (2 miles) on a soft surface like grass. After that, I'm hurtin'. But there's more going on in my feet than just the need for orthotics. Unfortunately, feet do not improve with age.

If you can get by with an over the counter solution, it will save you a lot of money. If not, then check your medical coverage and see if you can get help with the cost of custom-made ones. A podiatrist will cast your feet and use the casts to order them. Probable cost is $300-$500 per pair.

But it's worth it - you're on your feet a lot, every day. Everything you can do to increase your comfort and mobility is well worth spending money on. It also benefits your physical fitness to be able to walk.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2015
    NWB, GKon and Phalex like this.