Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

For those with neck skrunchies.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bryan bailey, Oct 9, 2003.

1. How do you get those things on the neck? do you stretch them over the headstock or take the neck off and put them on that way.

I have yet to find any that would stretch or the head, and are tight enough to muffle the strings.

Anyone?:confused:

:bassist:

2. hippiesandwich

hippiesandwich

Aug 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Affiliated with Looperlative Audio Products
    Well, considering Victor Wooten has his on set neck basses, it is pretty safe to assume that they are going on over the headstock don't you think? :rolleyes:

3. :meh: ........

Didn't think of that one:D

4. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    are we talking about capo's here?

5. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    No, they are talking about stretching a scrunchie over head stock so it mutes the strings.
    peace
    -Ben

6. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

You need to pull it up to the 7th fret. :D

7. pistoleroace

pistoleroace

Sep 13, 2002
    WI
  8. Bennet Pullen

Bennet Pullen

Aug 31, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    It all depends on what kind of hair tie you have. The ones that I've found that work are fuzzy ones that are about 3/8 of an inch across and these little flat ones that are made out of nylon or something. Both of those if you put them on they will be a little loose and then they tighten up after 20 minutes or so, so you have to wait and see if they work, if it's too loose don't take it right off. As for getting them on just go over each tuning peg one at a time, you shouldn't have to double up the hair tie so getting it over one tuning peg at a time should be no problem.

9. It mutes the rest of the strings easily when you're tapping higher up on the neck.

10. if you take your hand and tap on the string at a given fret, it will produce two notes.. the note of the fret, and some sort of overtone, which is quieter, but still audible.

if you take scrunchy and put it just past the nut, it eliminates the sound of the overtone and leaves just the fretted note itself. this allows one to employ a modern two-handed tapping technique ala stu hamm, vic wooten, etc, etc with a clean resulting sound.

you can test this by taking the index finger of your left hand and putting it just past the nut, and tapping your right index finger on the A at the 14th fret of the G string. then lift your left index finger and tap your right one again. you'll hear the difference immediately.

11. Only

Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    I use the regular cheap hairties one finds at Wal*mart. Just buy the little ones, not the big ones. The little ones are about an inch in diameter unstretched. If you stretch them over one tuner at a time, it's not hard. I usually put on four or five to have the option of muting a little, a lot, or targeting harmonics.

12. i use the big fluffy folded-ish ones, i put it on like it is and it wasnt tight enough, so i twisted it and made it twice as tight. this took some work to get it over the headstock, but it worked out in the end :)

btw, i cant imagine tapping without one now!

13. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    this isn't bass-related, so i'll move it on over to misc.

14. Damnit! I was seriously thinking about putting this here. But then I said to my self "Well, it goes on a bass"

Stupid stupid stupid...

15. NioeZero

NioeZero

Sep 2, 2001
    Doesn't Regi play a ten string? He'd need a fricken' belt to use as an effective mute. I've never seen the point of using a hair tie, but that's me. I find that left hand muting works just fine while tapping.

16. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    Try a bannana clip! :p

17. NioeZero

NioeZero

Sep 2, 2001
    I don't find it limiting at all. Sure, I'm not playing blinding 32nd note runs up and down the fretboard, but all it really comes down to is your technique. I see plenty of players playing touch style and getting away with it, sans scrunchie.