1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD For trade: Squier Active Jazz 5 string converted to 6 string

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Webtroll, Nov 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    TRADED

This bass is for trade only at this time. The bass is nearly new (extremely little play time) and they sell for $330. A generic Fender style plywood case in similar condition avail, tweed with a red interior, assume another $50 in value, bass can be traded with or without the case. I can also include a set of DUnlop Nickel rounds 30-130 MED 6-STRING value $24.

I bought the bass with the intention of converting it to a 6er due to the naturally wide (to me) neck. The work was done by Rob Hacker a the Custom Shop in Austin TX. Hipshot lightweight tuners probably purchased from the TB classifieds and a 17mm bridge from Ebay, don't know much more about it.

Why am I getting rid of it? It turns out I'm not a Jazz guy. They are nice enough but I've never owned one I've liked, this is no exception, At the risk of being ridiculed the neck is too wide; I could never get used to it. I'm not saying I'll never buy another 6er, but it's highly unlikely. The few times I played this in practice I never used the high C, it was an experiment and as it turns out I don't like it. It's the only 6 string bass I've ever owned so I can't really compare it to basses I've picked up for a minute or 2 in a store.

It was strung up with I have no idea what kind of strings. I don't like them, can't tell if they're nickel or stainless, don't care. They are stepped at the bridge and I know I don't like that. I didn't know they were stepped when I got them way back when.

The frets are great (go figure) and there were no dings I could find in the finish, but I have played it a few times in practice, so a few hours of wear and tear are there. This morning I found a strange dark smudge on the FB at 12th fret, could be wiped off, it smeared with my finger. The fingerprints all over it are being added for free as long as the bass isn't left behind at a major crime scene.

What do I want for it? I could use another 5er with close spacing. No Jazz basses, and I don't want a cheaper bass for it so the lower end Squier Precision 5ers are out. Not interested in another SX, have a P5 which I loaned out years ago. I want it back, but they're not for me. A Carlo Robelli 8 string would be awesome. No SUB 5er, I sold my US model, if the import has the same neck profile I'm out. I may go try one at GC to see if they feel the same. A 4 might be considered, I've been eyeing the new SUB Sterlings and might trade for a red one with the rosewood fingerboard. Not interested in the low end Ibanez or Ltd/ESP basses, no Deans (my last SR felt floppy and I don't like the look o fthe Deans and Ltd/ESP basses).

I am not adverse to projects or finish wear, but I don't want anything heavy. This Jazz is 10 pounds and it feels heavy. +/- $ is fine for the right trade. No wide spacing at the bridge or neck please!

I may consider non bass trades but am not needing an amp head or pedal at this time. Maybe for an Acoustic 330 guitar head. If local I may trade for a speaker cabinet as long as it's not back breaking or too big for the back seat of a Nissan Pathfinder.

You can run trades by me, but I'm not in a hurry to trade this so if nothing speaks to me then I'll hang onto it and see what the future holds. The #1 reason I am offering it up is I've been struck by GAS for an inexpensive 5er or a SUB Sterling and don't want to buy unless I make room.

The pictures of the back of the headstock make it look like the holes for the old tuners have been filled in, this is not the case, they're just holes.

RZpCf89.

2DriGNH.

10.14 pounds

nut 2.01" string to string .29"
    bridge .59" / 15mm

Online information about the model:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Squier-...ng-Electric-Bass-Guitar-104383435-i1173144.gc
    Squier Deluxe Jazz Bass Active V 5-String Electric Bass Guitar Features:

Solid Body Electric Bass
    Basswood body
    Maple neck
    Ebonol fingerboard
    20 medium jumbo frets
    34" scale
    2.008" nut width
    Chrome hardware Five-string J Bass pickups
    Pickup Blend control
    Volume, Treble/Mid/Bass & Slap Switch controls

2. Webtroll

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Bump and a change. Will ship without a case or extra strings for $310 in the continental US and Canada, more outside of there. Established members preferred for sale. Can ship strings and case for more. Still willing to consider a trade for the right bass, would prefer a 5er with a narrow spacing and a solid neck.

3. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    How much to ship with case?

4. Webtroll

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I'll have to check with the UPS Store that does my shipping. I won't ship USPS, a few damaged packages is a few too many. What zip?

5. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    25414. Thanks!

6. Webtroll

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I don't see the generic tweed case on the GC website, but their rectangular cases start at $55, so $350 shipped for the bass with the hardshell case. Apologies for the delay, I'm a bit under the weather, possible flu. If I post something totally odd just point it out and I'll try to figure it out. This morning I was watching a special about submarine warfare in the Atlantic and was trying to figure out for 15 minutes why there'd be U-boats in the Atlantic. Sick minds and all that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.