1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

For tube lovers only - more juice or more speakers?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JimmyM, Sep 17, 2008.

1. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    So by now, everyone has seen my beautiful B-15N stack of doom, but just in case you're not everyone:

[​IMG] Free file hosting from File Den!

Yes, 25w should be enough for everybody. In my case, though, with this rig, 25w is too much. Look at the volume setting. With the extension speaker, my usable volume isn't doubled, but it's in the ballpark. A B-15 cranked to its highest clean volume with one cab is about as loud as I can go on most of my gigs. The setting on the volume knob in the pic represents about half of that volume.

But man, two of those cabinets sounds so sweet that it's like the bass floats on a cloud! Since I only mic the top cab, the bottom cab exists solely for us on the stage and some of the folks on the dance floor on smaller gigs. But I really love the sound of two cabs and they're small enough to where it's not so bad to bring two.

But I also love the sound of a tube amp that's opened up all the way before distortion. When you crank the stack, it's so beautiful it could make you cry. Unfortunately, I'll never get the chance except on rare occasions. When you crank a single speaker B-15, the sound coming out of the speaker is better for the PA, but the two speakers sound way better from where I and the band stand. Everyone in the band also thinks the stack is my best sounding rig by far, so they want me to keep bringing it.

It looks like I'll have to choose between the two...better sound in the PA or better sound onstage. The sound in the PA is still really good with the stack, but the cranked amp sounds different in a way I love. What do you all think?

2. easy

easy

Mar 16, 2005
    seattle
    I'm not familiar with your stack. Those cabs are each a 1x15?

Good sound for the PA is only relevent if you have discerning listeners in the crowd (i.e. bass players). Any bass player I know would want to get closer to the bass player, because bass players know that the PA usually doesn't sound as good as the bassist's amp. Therefore, I would use whatever sounds best to you and your band, and anybody in the crowd who could hear a difference would either get closer (so as to hear your amp instead of the house) or would forgive the subtle differences.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Yep, each are a 115. Thx for the reply. Valid points.

4. get a power attenuator?

5. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    Yeah, i read about one called a hot plate or something.

6. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    Yep, in the immortal words of Fred Sanford:

Get a Dummy Load, Dummy, before I give you a knucka samitch ;)

7. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

what do i think ??
    :eek:

i think you've got a fantastic rig there , and i would love to own it myself ...
    thats' what i think !

i just drooled a little bit .... :ninja:

8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Thx David!

Power attenuator? Never thought of that. Interesting idea, but I'd like to try it first.

9. ()smoke()

()smoke()

Feb 25, 2006
    Dallas
    :) might be the way to go--dr. z makes one called an airbrake: http://www.drzamps.com/airbrake.html

i like what i've heard about it, and it's the one i was thinking of buying for my JMP when i played 6-string guitar

at any rate, that's a fantastic looking setup, and i'm sure the sound is superb...i'd love to find an old fliptop one day

10. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    I would just leave it alone. I'm sure to "your" ears you can hear that difference between where the volume is running on the rig but once pumped through the PA and put in the mix with everything else I seriously doubt it's THAT noticable. I'd save my money on and spend it elsewhere. I'm just like you, anal about my tone, but I've come to the point where if it sounds good to me on stage and it at least sounds decent out front I'm happy. If you and the band are pretty happy with you rig and the tone I wouldn't mess with it. A hotplate is just one more thing you'll have to lug around.

Just my opinion. I like simple.

off topic, but how do you like your amp clamp? Seems like a space saver if you carry your own mic and stand around for your cab like myself.

11. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC Music. Warwick U.S. distribution, Ampeg distribution
    the best attenuator I've tried is the THD HotPlate. The Weber is also good.

I have a 130HD Music Man amp. I've recorded overdriven bass lines with it by running it through a HotPlate..running full bore.

12. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Junior, I must say that yours sounds like the sensible answer, especially after pricing Hot Plates. I probably am being silly anal with tone. I didn't used to be. Talkbass made me this way! ;)

And yeah, I'm digging the Z Bar. I thought it would be noisy and pick up vibrations from the cabs, but it really isn't. Hard to get, though. The only place I found that carries them is www.performanceaudio.com .

13. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    lol.....same here. Talkbass is good in a evil, twisted kinda way. ;)

14. tallboybass

tallboybass Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Hallelujah Bro. Jimmy, preach it! It's NOT your fault! :D

15. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    I love the fliptop stack of doom! Now where have I seem something like that before...hmmm....

Anyway, I agree with Junior, leave it alone. Definitely satisfy yourself onstage, but the crowd isn't going to know, and isn't going to care.

16. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    Hallo everyone. My name's Tim and I am Talkbassaholic. Since joining Talkbass I have changed my equipment regularly and find myself sneaking out from work to look at Talkbass. I check with Talkbass to find out whether I should like the way something sounds. Sometimes I even sneak home to look at my rigs. Occasionally I might plug in a bass and play. Sometimes with a band. My doctor says I have terminal GAS. Sometimes I might think for myself but it is much more fun thinking with my fellow Talkbassaholics. When I get home from a gig at 3.00 a.m. I go straight to Talkbass. When I get up I check Talkbass. My home page is Talkbass. My name is Tim and I am a Talkbassaholic....

17. MHensleyJr

MHensleyJr Supporting Member

May 5, 2008
    Redlands, CA
    Ummm, yeah. Good for you...:rollno:

18. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    It's funny because it's true.

19. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I'd also suggest leaving it be. My tone is for my own enjoyment, so I make sure to play all the right notes for the audience, and dial in my stage tone for myself, they don't care about my tone anyway. I think I told you this before Jimmy, but it's worth repeating,...I love your rig.

20. fireincairo

fireincairo

Jul 8, 2008
    You're rig is a living testament to the myth that surrounds tube wattage and bass amps. :bassist: