1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

For U.S. made vintage Ross Flanger fans: Another Ross Flanger is hum free

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Snaxster, Aug 9, 2012.

1. Snaxster

Snaxster

Nov 29, 2008
    Here a cross-post to The Gear Page: Another Ross Flanger is hum free.

That's my post in the short Vintage Ross Flanger Noise Mod thread, which you should read from the top.

My post there describes my implementation in my pedal of a hum fix modification, which was designed by the OP in that thread. Though my attempt was not an exact replication of the original (because I lack the skills), I did achieve the intended electrical and sonic results without breaking anything.

[DISCLAIMER: I take absolutely no responsibility for anyone's use of the information in this post or the thread to which it cross-posts. It is purely informational and does not constitute a recommendation. In other words, if you try the modification and fry yourself, or your pedal, or your house, it is not my fault.]

If you use a U.S. made vintage Ross Flanger, you probably know that there are three aspects of the pedal's sound: flanging (beauty), whooshing noise ("vintage character"), and electrical hum (awfulness). That may be true of Taiwan made ones, too, but I haven't heard them.

The modification fixes the hum, eliminating it completely by 1. adding a two-stage output filter for the power supply, and 2. replacing the power transformer and power cord with an external power supply adaptor.

The sonic result is perfect. It makes the Ross Flanger even more useful and great-sounding than it was originally.

Best,

Snaxster