Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

For us electric players - who is your favorite upright player?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Planet Boulder, Jun 23, 2005.

1. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Yeah, yeah, I know - there are probably a bajillion of these on the upright board, but what about us primarily (or solely) electric players? Who are your favorite upright players?

My personal fave is Ron Carter. Being a funk freak, I really dig the stuff he does with Freddie Hubbard on Red Clay and Straight Life.

Stanley Clarke is also one of my faves - I have a DVD of a 70s performance of his in which he plays upright on a few tunes and it is mind-blowing, to say the least.

Also dig Patitucci quite a bit - he's one of my favorite all-around players and I saw him with Shorter's quartet last year. He's amazing to watch/listen to.

2. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Christian McBride is definatley my favorite DB player. He has great groove, and he can throw in some of the most tasteful stuff while walking a line.

I also dig Wynton Marsalis' bassist; his name escapes me at the moment. I thing it's Reginald something or other, great player.

3. Mr.Phil

Mr.Phil

Apr 9, 2005
    Upstate NY
    Mingus

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Marshall Lytle of Bill Haley And The Comets.

5. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    +1003

6. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Dave Holland

7. cirwin

cirwin

May 2, 2005
    In order: Ray Brown, Buster Williams, Peter washington. (Did I mention Ray Brown?)

8. +1 Dave Holland. I just got Bitches Brew for my birthday and his playing is amazing. I also watched some footage of him playing the Newport Jazz Festival the other day on PBS. The man can do it all.

9. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I just love Jim Creeggan from Barenaked Ladies. Also, Rob Wasserman's work on Bruce Cockburn's "The Charity Of Night" record is downright inspirational.

Oh, also, some jazz guys, I think the names that come to mind are Charlie Mingus and Paul Chambers.....

10. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Formerly the owner/builder of LeCompte Electric Bass
    I like Paul Chambers. I like Lonnie Plaxico too. His version of "Squib Cakes" is great. I love the sound of the upright playing funk.

11. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Wow, I love this topic. In fact, I started a thread on this same topic several years ago.;)

I always think it's good to recall that the whole EBG-URB thing shouldn't be an us-vs-them thing; we're in this adventure of bass together.

Anyway, some of my faves are

Mingus
    Gary Peacock
    John Patitucci
    Red Mitchell
    Ray Brown
    Scott LaFaro
    Paul Chambers
    Buster Williams

12. My favourite upright player is probably Hub from the Roots. I like Paul Chambers and Mingus too.

13. Futurebass

Futurebass

Jun 22, 2005
    Mark Peterson (James Blood Ulmer, Joan Baez,Cassandra Wilson)has impeccable ears and taste.

Henry Grimes disappeared for about 30 years, now he's back.

David Izenzon played some amazing stuff with Ornette Coleman.

In rock and folk music Danny Thompson is great.

14. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Dave Holland
    Chris Wood
    Sebastian Steinberg

15. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Amen to that!

16. Eli M.

Eli M. Life's like a movie, write your own ending

Jul 24, 2004
    New York, NY
    +1 for Jim Creeggan. He is particularly wonderful on Barenaked Ladies' album Born on a Pirate Ship. I also like his Brothers Creeggan stuff.

17. iloveloosey

iloveloosey Guest

Sep 9, 2000
    richard davis ~ listen to van morrison's astral weeks, eric dolphy's out to lunch, or the solo persia my dear

18. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Back in '75, when I first got into Jazz & URB players...it was Ray Brown, Ron Carter, Mingus, & Richard Davis. Those were the guys that were on my 1st Jazz records; I still have Bass books by Carter & Davis from that time frame.
    Back then it was possible to see & hear Ray Brown every afternoon, too, on The Merv Griffin Show. ;)

Today?
    Dave Holland is the man!

Loosey-
    You mentioned Out To Lunch...don't forget about Andrew Hill's Point Of Departure(recorded within the same day or so with almost the exact same personnel as Dolphy's record). ;)

19. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Yeah, everyone thought Grimes was dead; when he came on the scene, someone(I forget who) gave him a bass to play.
    I managed to pick up his 1st solo disc on the old ESP label....bass-drums-clarinet!

20. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    On a tangent(as usual)-
    Anyone pick up the brand new live Shorter disc?
    It's supposed to be Footprints Live! +1!
    ;)