Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

for us with an Ampeg SVT and a rackmount tuner.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RAT TAT TAT, Jul 30, 2005.

1. how do you or would you run your rackmount tuner? would you run the bass in to the tuner and then to the amp, or would you use somesort of an output on it? i currently use the tuner out on my svt3 but im trying to figure out how you folks do it.

2. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    Which SVT? I have a 4 pro and I use the Tuner send on the back of the amp. I hook it up to the signal in on the back of my rack tuner. You don't want to put anything in between the siganl from your bass to the the pre-amp unless you have too.

3. i have an svt3 and i do the same, but im asking about the regular svt's.. the classics.

4. Not that it has anything to do with any SVT, but I have a
    rack tuner, and I like to run my wireless into the tuner, then
    run the tuner into the input on my pre-amp. This allows me
    to be able to tune "muted" at the beginning of each set.
    If I use the tuner out on my pre-amp, I can't tune muted.
    It might not matter to some, but to me it's a big deal to not
    have the audience listen to me tune up.
    Just a thought.

5. honestly, i wish the svt classic had the mute button and tuner out like my svt3 cause i too dont want to have the crowd hearing me tune up, but to have the bass go to the tuner then the tuner to amp.. i just done dig having something in the signal path that doesnt need to be there. o well, the svt 2 pro has the tuner out, so ill give that amp a spin.

6. el_Kabong

el_Kabong

Jul 11, 2005
    I user a peterson strobostomp tuner with my classic. Very good tuner for 5 string, accurate and fast (actually works better on bass than guitar in my experience). Stomp it to mute while tuning, built in di, display is visible in bright sunlight, zillions (well quite a few anyway) of tuning modes you'll prolly never use, built like a brick. When I use it to set the intonation, my bass is noticably more in tune than with my old boss tuner. Not cheap but good.

7. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    I have a line out and effects loop on my V8.. If I bought a rack tuner... What would I plug it in to?

8. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    I'd asume the effects loop. You'll not be able to tune muted though.

9. i thought rack tuners would be transparent, so you wouldnt have to worry about it changing your sound at all ?

if i ever get a rack tuner or a decent foot pedal tuner, ill probably just use the parallel output of the sansamp and flick my SVT II onto stanby

10. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    I have a mute switch on my SVT so that I can spare the audience from having to hear me tune.
    For those that do not have these capabilities, or do not have a rack mountable head. Don't count out a high end stomp tuner. They have advantages too. You dont have to take your hands off the bass to mute, you don't have to turn around to tune.

11. A guitarist friend of mine had his dtr-2 in his mesa boogie guitar amp effects loop, and it muted it when he pressed the mute on the tuner. So you don't loose the mute function by using the effects loop.

12. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Can someone name some good stompbox tuners with a large, clear screen that's easy to see on stage?

13. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I use a Boss TU 2 run through the effect loop of my Mesa 400+. The mute feature DOES work through the effects loop.

14. el_Kabong

el_Kabong

Jul 11, 2005
    Yeah Pop, the peterson I rambled on about just up there ^^^^^^!
    Seriously tho they are good and being able to see them in broad daylight is a real plus if you've had the experience of led tuners becoming invisible in the sun.

http://www.petersontuners.com/products/strobostomp/index.cfm

15. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Ooer, thanks.

Don't have a rough price on them do you?

16. el_Kabong

el_Kabong

Jul 11, 2005
    I got mine from music123, couldn't find one in Oz. It was about $180 US if memory serves.