for what talkbass?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by 5156246, Feb 11, 2001.

1. 5156246

Sep 6, 2000
    Hi everybody,
    just liked to know: what was the most useful thing you have taken out of talkbass for your own playing skills, opinions about playing and so on.
    The greatest influence for me probably was not the teaching and instructions here but "to cope" with the big variety of opinions and to respect them all.

For instance: The everlasting how-many-strings-is-a-bass-allowed-to-have question, fretless or fretted or greatest XYX or the best XYX ...

Maybe because of this huge amount of different opinions I am more able than before to have an own balanced opinion but know to respect the taste of others.

Though I am not really sure.. - but I think some persons take over the opinion of other persons who dominate (please do not see this as an offense) the threads with a big amount of postings. Well, that is just my opinion, but sometimes I can see a post of one of the great posters, stating their opinion and after this very post everyone else just agrees with that.
    ----> As I said, just MY personal point of view.
    This can of course be because some of the members are more experienced, older, better or whatever.

One thing I also appreciate about talkbass is that the amount of members here consists of nearly every kind of music I can imagine, ranging from classic to heavy trash metal to pop and jazz. That is an invaluable richness of thoughts about "bass" only available on this site :D
  2. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    I agree,TalkBass really opens up your mind.I mean,most of my friends/musicians are metalheads,here you can find anything.Another advantage which I find very important is that there are many GREAT players here,like JT for example,and you can ask them things,or see their opinion in some aspects of bassplaying.Especially if you don't have a teacher,this is so helpful.But I think that the greatest thing is that you can get all kind of different opinions and then choose the one that seems more logical or more suited to your needs.
  3. mention yet of the adolescent Asian comic relief?
    Err...wait...wrong place... :oops:

But seriously, I've found talkbass has helped me increase my interest in bass immeasurably. I started out as a frustrated guitarist just joining the band because I sucked at guitar. Now I find myself a struggling bassist instead. :D
    Also, I've learned a lot more about the technical aspect of bassin' & such, and have also learned to appreciate a helluva lot more music types than before.
    Ummm...yeah. When I think of more, I'll add more. :D:p
  4. yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    Well, if you go over to my Theory question in this thread, you'll see one of the things I like about Talkbass. It's good that you can ask others who know what they're doing, which makes this an invaluable aid. I also agree that the diversity of people's musical tastes is also a good things, and I also like the occasion weird comment like Sheep Man's. Ah, the beauty of the Internet...
  5. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

One thing I've picked up is that many here are willing to discuss jazz and their favorite jazz players and what they like about a particular one. The discussion is much more personal than what you get in a magazine, for example. One person here turned me onto the Miles Davis record "Kind of Blue." I had posted that I didn't like atonal or avant guard jazz or the "way out" styles. SO that poster very kindly suggested I try "Kind of Blue." I ordered it from Amazon that same day and I absolutely love it. Otherwise, I wouldn't have been exposed to this phase of Miles Davis' work.

So with the help of people here, you can get advice tailored to your needs and interests. Unlike in a magazine where you get what they select for you. Another thing is you get varying opinions. It is interesting when people disagree, such as whether or not a metronome will really improve your timing or whether or not you need to learn to read standard notation or whether you need to learn to slap...all recent debates here.

Jason Oldsted
  6. Definately opened up my eyes to more styles of playing, products, and how to approach certain songs. Also, I can seem to almost know what I'm talking about in certain threads which can be cool. Go self-esteem!
  7. Talkbass has been a godsend for me!
    If I had`nt found this site ,I probably would just have gone on with ole "wish I would have learned bass when I was younger"instead of getting inspired and encouraged by so many learned and expearienced musicians/players/hobbyists.Talkbass is worth it`s wait in gold to me.Everybody(for the most part)is freindly,helpful,and genuinly interested in what you have to say or ask.Sounds corny(or KoRny?) :D but it`s like having a few thousand older brothers! lol

Group hug!!!!!
  8. NJXT

Jan 9, 2001
    Lyon, FRANCE
    I'm with you, Usul !
    Since I've started reading TB, I pratice more, learn more by myself.
    But it also gives me serious GAS, sometimes. That ain't cool for my wife :D
  9. SlapDaddy

Mar 28, 2000
    NJXT, I had serious GAS when I got here but these TalkBass folks have helped me to focus on 'being better' as opposed to having more! Sincere thanks to my TB brothers and sisters.
  10. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    wow, man, thanks a lot :D

i really love the sense of community we have here. i find that i look forward to seeing what everyone is going to talk about on a particular day - it's very addictive :D.
  11. yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    Too right - I went to log on about an hour ago, and the forum was down again. I've been checking back eagerly every 10 minutes to see if it's back up. Without TB, I'm at a loss at what to do on the Net - I ended up taking a load of weird personality tests. (For the record, my ideal celebrity partner is Drew Barrymore, if I were a dog I'd be a Jack Russell, and my favourite TV family is the Simpsons.)
  12. Ew! Drew Barrymore? She's kinda...
    you know...
    in MY opinion, at least. :p
  13. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    When I came here (Dec 1999 for all you 21st century newbies :) ) I was not very enthusiastic about bass.
    I was playing a lot of guitar. This site has renewed my interest in bass, given me some new (cyber) friends (and some people who I dont get on with, hey thats life) and cost me a new higher powered amp and cab (thanks munji300wbunga :) )

Re the comment about opinions, I read everyones opinions on a thread but I dont always agree. Not everyone agrees with me. Mostly everyone disagrees in a mature way.

Suck up time

Thanks to Paul who has done a lot of work on this site from day one (when members registered and promptly dropped off the system) and continues to improve it.

Thanks to existing Moderators plus in no order Jere GM Biski White Knight and anyone I forgot.
  14. yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    Well, my computer told me she's ideal for me, but when I went back and said I preferred chocolate mousse to hamburgers, the answer suddenly became Jennifer Anniston. Intruiging, eh?
  15. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

I'll second that sentiment - I never much cared for the internet before I found this site, but the people here have been so helpful and supportive (and on occasion so completely obnoxious in a lovably hilarious way) that it almost feels like - dare I say it? - an extended family. My wife says that Talkbass is my "support group", and I guess she's right. But mostly it's just nice to be able to discuss the things that are important to me professionally with someone on a regular basis, and there aren't that many folks here in town who share the same interests.

I say, ALL HAIL both Bob Gollihur and Paul.
  16. NJXT

Jan 9, 2001
    Lyon, FRANCE
    That's right. That's what I was trying to say :
    more willing to play, more willing to improve and ... more GAS :D.
    In fact, it (TB) just increases every feelings I got around bass.
  17. BaroqueBass

Jul 8, 2000
    Salem, OR
    Aniston over Barrymore ANY day of the week... Damn that Brad Pitt... he stole my girl.
  18. yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    She's MINE, dammit! The computer said so! (Well, as long as I eat more mousse) :)