Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

For whom the Bell Tolls by Mtallica

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Lowner, Mar 12, 2006.

1. Lowner

Lowner

May 14, 2005
    Over Here
    In the intro of the song..is it the bass that plays it or a guitar? I was jamming last night with a guitar player and he started to play the intro. I said it was the bass playing and he said it cant be because its too high for the bass. now we are in dispute. I say its bass and so does a Metallica tab book I have. But he says the tab book is wrong.

2. I dont know if it was originally recorded on guitar or bass, but if you watch the Cliff 'Em All vid, its played by the late great Cliff.

3. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    It was recorded by Cliff, an Aria bass through a Crybaby Fuzz Wah. Don't let any guitar player tell you different.

4. deddeh

deddeh

Nov 29, 2005
  5. It was Cliff!! Everyone should know that!

6. 0/0.0\0

0/0.0\0

Oct 5, 2005
    so does rob do it now or do james/kirk?

7. I would hope Rob does it, but I'm really not sure. I haven't seen/listened to any newer Metallica.

8. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    On the actual recording, it's both Cliff's bass track and a very low volume guitar track behind it.

9. havik180

havik180

Oct 9, 2005
    SF bay area
    what he said , I think theres actually a link to a vid of Rob playing on here too !

10. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

11. i play it with my band, but my guitar player refuses to let me be the only one.

i don't have a distortion or wah, so it doesn't sound as good as cliff. but i think it sounds awesome clean.

on a side note, i haven't ever played this song without both lead and bass doing the intro, anything else would probably sound empty to me. whatever.

you should let your band decide which sounds best, you alone, guitar alone, and then both together. unless your band hates you.

good luck!

12. Tostenbass

Tostenbass

Oct 31, 2005
    Norway
    The fact that there is a 2nd bass track on the intro, following the guitar/drums, may cause some of this confusion.....(especially with non-bassplayers :D )

13. bobdob20

bobdob20

Mar 5, 2006
    I play it on the bass in my band. I find its best miss out the low beats, and just show off with the high bass line, because you've got both the guitars and the drums filling in that bit.

14. prince666

prince666

Mar 18, 2006
    definately should be played by bass only! this is one of those points in a covergig where you can really stand out, so do it and dont let any crap ass guitarist tell you otherwise ;)
    and yes, cliff, rob and jason are all playing it...i doubt if kirk could even play such a difficult lick :p

steve

15. Willem

Willem

Dec 26, 2005
    Belgium
    and Jason did it before him
    it's bass no question