For whom the bell tolls

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Vincemaster, Dec 13, 2004.

1. Vincemaster

Dec 13, 2004

Is it true that for for whom the bell tolls Jason used a sansamp bassdriver? Are there any persons who actually got one? please let me know and so can anybody send me some samples made by a sansamp bassdriver?

Thanx anyway

2. Hi

I'm not sure about Jason, but Cliff Burton (the first Metallica bassist) who wrote that bassline, used a Big Muff. There are samples of the Sansamp Bass Driver around, try the Distortion Megathread, or use the search.

Hope this helps
  3. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

4. Vincemaster

Dec 13, 2004
    I speak a little bit french but not very good, i'm from Belgium you see so i can understand the basic stuff :oops:)

Thanks for the sample i really appreciate it :bassist:
  5. Subculture13

Subculture13 Jamming Econo

Apr 9, 2003
    Toronto, Ont. Canada
    I have always thought that BOTH of them used the Morley Power Wah Boost. You can see it being used clearly in many live videos of Metallica with Jason in the band.
  6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    No Sansamp, but if I had the money, Sansamp Drivers are the shiznite, trust me on that.
  7. Vincemaster

Dec 13, 2004
    Yeah i saw it yesterday on "cunning stunts" Jason uses a big pedal,
    but when you listen to the sample of our french friend above, you can
    hear that the distortion can be used to play bellz, if i could i would buy a morley but here in Belgium it's almost impossible to buy one, the sansamp bassdriver on the other hand is available so i'm thinking to buy one. On the official site of tech21/hall of fame you can see that Bob Rock uses a sansamp bassdriver so i think it's possible to play the songs from the black album with the sansamp.

Thanks dudes, for the comments :bassist:
  8. Subculture13

Apr 9, 2003
    Toronto, Ont. Canada
    Probably is possible. That pedal is utterly amazing, the rackmount is even better.

The only thing I noticed is that to get really good overdrive you have to send it a good signal. My passive Jazz bass cant get it to overdrive one bit, even with every knob on 10, but my active Ibanez starts to get gritty (in a REALLY good way) at drive of about 5.
  9. Jazz Ad

Just so you know, I pushed the SansAmp VERY hard on this sample.
    Actually I used a clean boost from a Boss LS-2.
    I really like the kind of tone you can get this way.
    If you just plug a bass into it, unless you have extremelly high output, you will only get a mean ballsy grind.
  10. Subculture13

Apr 9, 2003
    Toronto, Ont. Canada
    Exactly what I have been saying, I may have to check out the Boss LS-2 as a means of getting my gain where I need it.
  11. Jazz Ad

Nobody should be without a Boss LS-2 anyway. It's a great problem solver.
  12. IIRC, Cliff didn't use distortion on that song. Watched the S&M DVD, and Jason doesn't touch his pedal. The distortion in that line comes from the fact that the Guitar II line follows the bass on the intro, until the bass goes to the G to E continuous run. But if you need to cover up the fact that you don't have a second guitarist, you can always fake it by using pretty much any distortion pedal and just turn up the distortion slightly, just to the point that it becomes "fuzzy." When my band did that song, we only had one guitarist, so I used a Boss distortion pedal, and after a slight amount of trial and error, got a sound that was damn close.
  13. While I can't specifically comment on the actual recording of Ride the Lightening, there is a clip of Cliff on Cliff 'Em All (alliteration) where he opens the song with both dist and wah.

14. DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    I don't know about Jason or Cliff, but I think Hemingway just used Absinthe...

:D :bag:

No, I can't help myself...
  15. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    We cover this song.

Cliff Burton used a Morley Power Wah Boost and a USA Big Muff Pi. In order to emulate the sound, Newsted used the same.

I use the Morley PWB and a MXR M-80 Bass DI+. The MXR is what the current Metallica bassist uses.

The key to the sound is really the vintage Morley PWB. It has been discontinued for 23 years, and was made when Morley was owned by another country. They are built like tanks though, and are these huge chrome monster of a pedal.

16. This is true but only in the studio version. Every time I heard the song live, only the bass was doing that line, with distortion and wah.
  17. krazy_olie

May 10, 2004
    Big Muff and Morely Power Wah, dunno about Jason's live versions but thats whats on the original and most of the live cliff versions.
  18. Vincemaster

Dec 13, 2004
    Thanx guys for the information

i've dropped the sansamp idea. I've got my eve on a Boss
    ME-50. My bass equipment is at rookielevel and the sansamp needs pro equipment to get max. sounds from it