1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

for wood experts

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by black.rose1402, Sep 28, 2008.

1. black.rose1402

black.rose1402

Jan 10, 2007
    following a thread about olive wood, I have a question about richard bona's bass

if there's some wood experts, can they tell me in their opinion if richar's bass is made of tulpiwood top or olive wood top?

I find the olive top to have a lot less veins than tulip wood so what's your opinion?

2. black.rose1402

black.rose1402

Jan 10, 2007
    I know this link, for sure I have mine on order at austin bass trader.
    it's just that when I see how plain is the wood on the top of the bass on the model displayed at ABT and when I look at bona's bass, the top seems different.

so any help here? any wood experts??

3. black.rose1402

black.rose1402

Jan 10, 2007
    so no wood experts here on talkbass?

4. Wood experts here usually spend their time over in the luthiers corner.

5. vbasscustom

vbasscustom

Sep 8, 2008
    Yeah, thats definetly olive wood, rosewood has a wavier grain, and is usually more orange and brown that the yellowish white like olive wood.

6. Just Thumpin'

Just Thumpin' Commercial User

Mar 7, 2008
    NE United States
    Manager and Partner, Fodera Guitars (as of 10/14/09)
    Folks --

Richard Bona's Bass is a Tulipwood top. I have spoken with with Joey about Bona's bass in the past. I also, just saw him in NYC on Friday night (not that that has any bearing on what wood his bass is made of).

7. I think you're right

tulipwood:
    [​IMG]

Richard Bona:
    [​IMG]

8. black.rose1402

black.rose1402

Jan 10, 2007
    that's what I thought,
    the olive top is nice but I find the tulipwodd top moer beautiful than the olive.
    it has more" expression"
    I wonder why fodera call basses with olive top and primavera wood top "bona model"!
    anyway thanks for your insights

9. Here is my Fodera with Tulipwood! My Tulipwood is getting darker and more red by the years.

Wholebass3.

10. black.rose1402

black.rose1402

Jan 10, 2007
    Really nice bass Hou it seems to be the model displayed on the fodera website.
    I like when the wood get darker over the years( same thing happened on my marcus miller 4 neck, it's getting darker and I love that color meaning that I practiced a lot maybe the hand sweat did that!)
    Definitely , Bon'a bass has a tulipwood top! I hope I'll have a top as nice as yours on my future fodera!

11. Beepo

Beepo

Sep 23, 2008
    Oslo, Norway
    Bona has Tulip, and I also think it has some kind of lacquer..it is so shiny and glam :)
    I have no idea why all Fodera "Bona models" have olive or primavera tops.. Mine has olive, and it is still beautiful though. I am happy it is not a completely identical bass to Richard Bona`s one.

12. black.rose1402

black.rose1402

Jan 10, 2007
    You know , I really like how the tulipwood looks, on your bass it's great.
    I don't want to have the exact same bas as Bona (even though if I want the same characteristics but I want it to be active)
    The thing , is the model I prefer is the imperial, and the wood I like is tulipwood (sad coincidence I know)
    I like when wood ages and gets darker, it happened on my marcus miller 4 (my first bass) and I really dig the color now!.
    When I get the chance to pick up the top, I don't want to have the same motifs on my bass, but , I want nice motifs though.
    It's the bass that I want to offer myself for my 30th birthday and I want it to be perfect and exactly how I want!
    the first time I had a fodera, it was an nice emperor 2 5 string , with buckeye burl top, but what I really wanted was the bass I have on order now!

I wonder if changing the top will affect a lot the tone or not!
    Anyway, I'm happy!!!!!:hyper:

13. Just Thumpin'

Just Thumpin' Commercial User

Mar 7, 2008
    NE United States
    Manager and Partner, Fodera Guitars (as of 10/14/09)
    Guys -- I was WRONG! Just spoke with Vinny yesterday about a variety of topics and I asked him about Richard Bona's bass. Olive Wood! Sorry if I casued any confusion...