For you guitarists, fingers vs. pick

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by ChaosGwar, Mar 22, 2002.

1. I use a pick

7 vote(s)
  2. I use my fingers

0 vote(s)
  3. I do both

8 vote(s)
  4. should we have an option for carrots on this poll too?

0 vote(s)
  1. I'm learning how to play guitar, and was wondering how some of you play?

I'd like to learn how to play both ways
  2. EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    It really depends on the situation.
  3. Usually if I'm playing guitar it's probably my acoustic, and then I'll probably use a pick, I like the sharp sound it makes. I'll still fingerpick sometimes though, it can be fun too.

When I play my electric, I'm always using a pick.
  4. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I usually play fingerstyle, I can´t really get used to the pick..I played classical guitar so I have always been comfortable playing with my fingers.
  5. Pick all the way. The only song I use fingers on is "Down in a hole" by Alice in Chains
  6. it's good to know fingerstyle, but being able to play with a pick is ESSENTIAL.
  7. Pick, all the way. Medium white Fenders. It's all you'll ever need for any picking. Thin ones break, thick ones break strings.
  8. Kraken

Jun 19, 2001
    Aylesbury, England
    I Use both Pick and Fingers,

The only trouble I have is switching between them mid-song:D
  9. I use a pick and fingers and have also tried just about every combination and style I've seen. Generally you should use what you are comfortable with but there are certain situations where one is more appropriate than the other.

For rhythm playing I find a pick easier to use and to get the sound I am looking for.

For just about everything else I prefer to use my fingers in a sort of loose style.

I never really got completely comfortable with a pick and thus my picking style actually involves my fingers more than I realize at times.

The best thing to do is go to a store and get a whole bunch or different picks, even thumb picks and try everything. Also note what players that make the sounds you are trying to make as a guide.

Some fingerstyle players:

Mark Knopfler (Dire Straits/Solo)
    Jeff Beck (post-80's when he abandoned the pick)
    Joe Pass
    Leo Kottke (Uses fingerpicks now and then)
    Don Ross (Scary, scary stuff)

My fave pickers:

Eddie Van Halen
    Eric Johnson
    Ricky Scaggs

There are lots of people that have interesting combination styles (thumb pick, claw etc.) like Chet Atkins, Michael Lee Firkins and the late, great SRV who I seem to mention in just about every post here. ;)
  10. beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I started on guitar and played with a pick 90% of the time. Some things just call for finger picking and/or hybrid picking where you use both a pick and your fingers. Most guitarists who want to be able to do it all learn all the different techniques, however some people get by very nicely just doing one. :D

When I made the switch to bass, it was finger style all the way.
  11. I play with my fingers.....that is, when i can't find a pick to use ;)

Pick 99% of the time, the other %1 when i cant find one to use.