1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

For you J bass guys out there...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by flareaga, Feb 29, 2008.

1. flareaga

flareaga

Mar 1, 2007
    Really, what are the differences between the normal Jazz bass, the Geddy Lee and the new America series or w/e...that cost like a grand?

Just wondering.

Thanks budz.

2. JeremyBender

JeremyBender

Oct 22, 2001
    NY
    You could go to Fender's website and bring up the specs for each of these basses and do a comparison.

By normal do you mean the normal "Standard" series of Jazz bass?

3. flareaga

flareaga

Mar 1, 2007
    Yes, that. I just have trouble spelling it. <_<

4. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    Well, first they are made in different places...Standard Jazz is MIM, the Geddy is CIJ, and the American Std. in MIA. But, quality of components make a big difference in the price too. MIA parts are better than CIJ, and CIJ parts are better than MIM and so on. Pickups are usually nicer on the American models, but that can be a matter of taste too. You are also likely have a more careful selection of woods as the price goes up, whereas any piece of alder that is structurally sound will make it into the cheaper models. For example, my American Deluxe Jazz weighs significantly less than my guitarist's MIM Strat, yet it still very alive and resonant.

So I would say cost of labor, cost of components, and wood selection, in that order, are the main reasons behind the price differences.

5. With the above said, you can get a really nice playing Standard Jazz bass. My main bass for four years was a Deluxe Standard. I do think that the electronics and hardware are noticeably better with the higher end models though. Construction and wood choice is becoming less and less distinguishable between the different models imo.

6. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    I absolutely agree with this. A bare bones Standard Jazz is good enough for most people, even with its "inferior" materials. You can certainly replace some of the cheaper components as well, parts for Fender Jazz basses are easier to fin than for any other model of bass in existance. Pickups, bridges, and tuners are not expensive for the most part and are easy mods, even for a novice. That, and a good shielding job, can really make a MIM Std. Jazz shine.

7. cloren

cloren

Nov 15, 2007
    san francisco
    i played a stock MIM jazz bass for the first 5 years of my bass playing career- MIM forever!

It does lack in areas when compared to higher end models, of course- but if you can get a good sound out of a 'lesser' bass then give your self a round of applause.

besides you can always shield the cavities and upgrade the pups and electronics with the end result being an incredible sounding instrument for cheap. check out warmoth.com for replacement parts and DIY information

8. rutty24

rutty24

May 20, 2007
    biggleswade
    i wanted a fretless jazz bass so tried both american and mexican made models and i personally prefered the stock MIM, it just felt, well, better. haven't changed it and don't intend to till something breaks. :smug:

i think the difference in price just relates to the materials and some of the workmanship...... but i get my sound from a MIM and i'm loving it!!!! :hyper:

9. stingray69

stingray69 Talkbass Legit

Aug 11, 2004
    St Louis Area
    Drop in some Fender SCN pickups if you want to cop the tone of the expensive MIA fenders. They are sold all over on-line.

10. DonovanBankhead

DonovanBankhead Banned Commercial User

Aug 25, 2001
    Springfield, MO
    Owner - FretSpot.com; Vice President - Springfield Music
    Or try dropping in some Amalfitano pickups if you want to nail that great, old-school J bass tone. Way better then even the deluxe Fender pickups...

11. I have a Standard Jazz(MIM) and a Geddy Lee Jazz. The Standard sounds good and feels pretty good too. I went to a GC, set to buy a MIA Jazz and ended up with the Geddy. It wasn't because of the price difference, I just preferred the sound and feel of the Geddy over the MIA. Now I didn't get to try the new "08s. I guess what I'm trying to say is try them all and see which one you like the best. Like I stated earlier, I preferred the Geddy. I'm sure the new MIA's are very nice. I didn't like the S1 switch on the previous model. If you can't afford the MIA or Geddy, the Standard is a nice bass. Each person has a preference. One of the differences is the resale value. It seems the MIA's have a higher resale value.
    Enough of this rambling...I'm outa here.:bassist: