Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

For you Oteil/ABB fans

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by jerry, Sep 27, 2003.

1. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    They just released the Allman Brothers DVD from the Beacon this year......and it smokes! Three hours of just great playing from everybody..that band has been reborn!!!

2. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    tell me more! Warren, Derek. Oteil, Oh-my! Where do you get it? review?

3. watspan

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    I ran right out and got this dvd, so I can answer my own questions!

This is the real deal. This dvd felt more like really being at a concert than any other i've watched, except maybe "Who at royal albert hall). Excellant sound and clear video and good editing (many dvd's cut around so fast you can't watch the musicians play)

Oteil split his time between a sunburst fender jazz and a natural finish 6 string (mfg?) playing through 3 classic-type ampeg cabs (4X10's?). His tone was superb and his playing wonderful (described in the liner notes as "rubbery"-apropos!) He cooked up some steaming funk during willie dixon's "Same Thing"

Derek Truck's right hand technique was fascinating and the tone he gets out of his Gibson SG is unique.

This disc is a slide guitarist's Nirvana, w/ Derek and Warren Haynes being probably the two best slide men out there today. The interplay between these two was phenomenal.

The material, drawn from the ABB's catalog, the new CD and Warren Hayne's solo/Gov't Mule discs w/ a couple of cover tunes is great. I was amazed at how the classic ABB tunes sounded so fresh and vital, and in some cases even better (e.g. "come and go blues) I may be wrong on this, but i think warren Haynes has become the main driving force in the ABB and he has a musical esthetic(sp?) which seems custom made for the ABB. You don't miss Dickie's Gold top one bit!

Yeah, most of the guys are fat ,old and grey, but their combined musical pedigree transcends all that.

Longtime fans and new ears alike will benefit from picking this one up!

Can't wait for "The Deepest End" dvd next week!

4. I think you are right about Warren...he has pretty much moved to the top of the ABB...him and Greg seem to be doing most of the writing. And a 'Mule song on an ABB record?? wow.

5. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I agree! Warren is definitely the MVP! He revitalized them....his production on the last studio album was great........he just let them play!! That whole band can play!

6. "Soul Shine": that song always gets me, especially in light of Woody's passing. In particular, Derek's soloing on this version of the tune has a terrific emotional pull. Sounds like he's been listening to a lot of Robert Randolph!

Thanks for the tip, by the way. I didn't even realise that this was out, but when I saw it here, I went to Best Buy and picked it up. Oteil's playing his six string Fodera. Disc 2 has a lengthy documentary on the history of the band with lots of interviews and fun backstage antics. Definitely worth the purchase.

7. pigpen02

pigpen02

Mar 24, 2002
    After listening to Hittin' the Note obsessively for a few weeks, i was lucky enough to find Joyful Noise, the recent disc by the Derek Trucks Band, and was just floored. He's definitely developed a powerful voice in the southern-rock/thing genre. Well worth checking out, and in further on-topic relation, has a Burbridge on there playing percussion.

8. watspan

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    the derek trucks band also has a recording made before joyful noise, but just released, called soul serenade out. it's too short, imho, but is a more "consistent" effort than joyfull noise; does a searing blues w/ gregg allman, the rest all instrumentals--lots of kofi burbridge flute on it!

gettin' desparate for "the deepest end" cd/dvd next week--a fascinating opportunity to see many bassists perform w/ the mule--should fill in the performance gaps from Rising Low

9. deepestend

deepestend Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 21, 2003
    Brooklyn via Austin and NOLA
    Guitar/Bass Builder and Social Media at Sadowsky
    I was at that Deepest end show and afterwards everyone was saying that it was the Warren Haynes' "Last Waltz." Hopefully that comes across on the DVD too. It was just an amazing show with an amazing cast of performers. And suppossedly they're all there between the DVD and CD. George Porter/Dave Schools/ and Jason Newstead all playing the encore together is stunning. Les is great, the guy from the David Letterman band really adds his own energy-- really too many to name. Oh yeah, Mike Gordon with Sonny Landreth, the origional Headhunters bass player on Chameleon... Dirty Dozen Brass Band, Los Lobos... ****, I can't even name them all... definitely check this one out.

10. watspan

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    i'm droolin', no foolin'!! what a show to be at!

paul jackson doing chamarleon w/ the Mule? outrageous!

I saw a promo shot of will lee w/ an alan woody signature epiphone!

TFP! Totally F*ckin' Psyched!

of course, this will spin off into a new thread next week

11. deepestend

Feb 21, 2003
    Yeah, Paul Jackson with the Dirty Dozen Brass Band and Bernie Worrell... and that wasn't even the best song!

Here's the whole setlist:

Comments: with Greg Rzab
    1st Set: Bad Little Doggie (1)> Game Face (1)> Larger Than Life (1)> Pygmy Twylyte (2)> Blind Man In The Dark (2) (3), Which Way Do We Run? (2), Fool's Moon (2), Sco-Mule (4)*, Patchwork Quilt (5)+, Lay Of The Sunflower (6), John The Revelator (7), Chameleon (8)+, When Doves Cry (9)> Beautifully Broken (9)> When Doves Cry (9)> Beautifully Broken (9), Time To Confess (10), Mule (10)> I've Been Workin' (10)> Mule (10)
    2nd Set: Banks Of The Deep End (11), On Your Way Down (12) (13), 32-20 Blues (13) (14) (15), Down And Out In New York City (3) (14) (16), Keyboard intro > Goin' Down (17), Maybe I'm A Leo (17), Slow Happy Boys (18), Voodoo Chile (18) (19), Politician (20), I Shall Return (21), Trying Not To Fall (22)+, Warren solo > Warren/Matt > Drums, Sweet Leaf (23)> War Pigs (23)
    Encore: Greasy Granny?s Gopher Gravy Pt. 1 (24), Greasy Granny?s Gopher Gravy Pt. 2 (24)**, Drivin' Rain (24), Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds tease (25), Soulshine (2), Wasted Time (26), Thorazine Shuffle (2) (10) (27)
    Setlist Notes: (1) Greg Rzab on bass; (2) Dave Schools on bass; (3) Karl Denson on sax (on Blind Man Karl enters part way thru blows his sax solo and then leaves the stage); (4) Victor Wooton on bass & Bernie Worrell on keyboards, no Danny; (5) Victor on bass & Bela Fleck on banjo; (6) Bela on banjo & Rob Wasserman on bass; (7) the Dirty Dozen Brass Band: Sammie Williams on trombone, Roger Lewis on baritone sax, Kevin Harris on tenor sax, Efram Towns on trumpet & Julius McKee on sousaphone, no bass or keyboard player; (8) Paul Jackson Jr. on bass, the Dirty Dozen Brass Band & Bernie on B-3; (9) George Porter Jr. on bass & backup vocals; (10) George on bass; (11) Mike Gordon on bass & backup vocals; (12) Mike on bass; (13) Sonny Landreth on guitar; (14) Will Lee on bass; (15) Karl on flute; (16) Fred Wesley on trombone; (17) Roger Glover on bass; (18) Jack Casady on bass; (19) Ivan Neville on keyboards, no Danny; (20) Conrad Lazano on bass & David Hildago on guitar & vocals; (21) Conrad on bass & David on guitar; (22) Jason Newsted on bass & Danny on guitar; (23) Jason on bass, no Danny; (24) Les Claypool on bass & vocals; (25) just Danny on keyboard; (26) just Warren on guitar & vocals; (27) Jason on bass; * contains Don't Mean A Thing, If It Ain't Got That Swing tease; ** contains Dueling Banjo, Yankee Doodle Dandy, Wynona?s Big Brown Beaver & Voodoo Child teases; + first time played

12. deepestend

Feb 21, 2003
    I don't have the greatest pics from that night, but here are a few:

Newstead and Warren

13. deepestend

Feb 21, 2003
  14. deepestend

Feb 21, 2003
  15. deepestend

Feb 21, 2003
    Not the best pic, but one of the best things I"ve seen: Newsted, George Porter, and Dave Schools all playing together...

16. deepestend

Feb 21, 2003
    Mike Gordon and Sonny Landreth:

17. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    jerry is officially the TB "go buy this ...." person. everytime you let us know, it's always something i dig!!!

i can't wait till i go get it!

:)

18. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Don't forget to pick me up a copy...

...you're buying, waddle boy!

Always loved that band, though the last time I saw them live was in NYC, forget what year, but both Duane and Berry were still alive back then.

Derek really has developed a good rep around here, my friends rave about him.

Now, if you could only hear ABB on the RADIO

CLEAR CHANNEL - WE WANT ALLMAN BROTHERS !

Those hosebags are out of Texas, aren't they?

19. deepestend

Feb 21, 2003
    They're based in FL right now.

And Derek is sick, so is his wife's band!

20. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

I meant Clear Channel were the hosebags...
    :D