1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

? for you Thunderbird guys/gals

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nitrofix, Apr 23, 2010.

1. nitrofix

nitrofix Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Miami Fl
    Sorry for all the T Bird questions but just got my first one and still trying to figure it out..I want to raise the pickups but can't seem to figure it out, when I screw down the screws on the pickups they just tighten up and the pickup doesn't move and when I back them off the screw seems to be coming out and still the pickup doesn't move, now is it possible to adjust the pickups(raise, lower) or what..I'm trying to get more output out of the bass the pickups seem weak, I have a Squire P Bass that has a lot more output than the T Bird..any input would be great because I want to gig it this weekend...Thanks Guys

2. stiles72

stiles72

Mar 20, 2009
    Albany IL
    It could be the springs have either been removed, or the screws arent through the springs- they could be laying under the pickup. When I got mine, I removed the spings and screwed the pickups directly into the body. Are the pickups stock TB+'s? I notice a slight difference in output between my T-birds, but they are all way hotter than my other basses.

3. nitrofix

Jan 15, 2009
    Miami Fl
    Not sure about the springs, pretty sure their stock pickups..I guess I'll take it apart and see whats going on in there..Thanks for the advice Stiles

4. mellowgerman

mellowgerman Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    I'm assuming it's a gibson, not an epiphone, right?

5. TBird1958

TBird1958 As a matter of fact....I am your Queen! Staff Member

Mar 13, 2008
    Seattle Washington
    Endorsing Artist Mike Lull T Bass pickups
    FWIW I think my '89 is likely close to yours in construction, at that point Gibson used foam pads underneath the pickups, if so I'd replace them with springs as the foam is probably flat after so many years. Where to get springs you ask? I used some from writing pens experimenting with their compressed length and cutting off the excess with wire cutters.

6. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

I thought I was the only McGyver on TB doing that!:spit::D

7. TBird1958

Mar 13, 2008
    Seattle Washington
    :p

You know what they say.....

"Great minds think alike"

I think the pups on that bass look like the one closest in the photo, it's a split coil design somewhat reminiscent of the design used on '76s, (the one in the pic has been potted into a '76 cover) over the years since reissue Gibson has used at least four variations of pickups in Thunderbirds - Yes they do all sound different. The one to the back is an early '2000 design.
    DSC00013.

8. nitrofix

Jan 15, 2009
    Miami Fl
    Thanks Mark, I was hoping you would chime in and let me know what's up..I'm going to take the pickups out and see what's going on in there........And yes it's a Gibson..

9. prengel_basser

prengel_basser

Jan 28, 2010
    I know, it´s a bit offtopic, but I´m pretty desperate. because I didn´t find anyone who can answer my questions so far....

I want to buy a thunderbird, but i hate these modern ones, they all sounded terrible to my ears. I played a 1976 thunderbird one time and this one sounded awesome!
    Because I have not that much money, I decided to go for a greco.
    I´ve read that they have a chunkier neck, which suits me fine, because I´m a P-bass guy.

My main question is:
    1. is there any difference (buildingquality wise) between the late 70
    greco thunderbirds and the late 80 thunderbirds? has there ever been a thunderbird of the "super real" series?
    2. did greco use the same pickups on the late 80, as they did on the
    late 70ties models?
    3. can anyone tell me about the difference between a "tb750" and a "tb900"???:confused::help:

best wishes from germany!

stefan

10. nitrofix

Jan 15, 2009
    Miami Fl
    Found out why I can't adjust the pickups, seem like the foam under the pickups is flatten out, Mark gonna try the spring fix you were talking about and see what happens...
    pups003.

11. TBird1958

Mar 13, 2008
    Seattle Washington
    Good pic, if I recall this is an '87? interesting that they had changed the pups in that short of a timespan, the one I mentioned is likely less than a year later... Re the mounting, springs may really help that but you could always get more foam too.

12. nitrofix

Jan 15, 2009
    Miami Fl
    Hey Mark Tried to put the springs in and the pickups are so tight trying to get them back in I don't thinks the springs will work, think I'm gonna try to put some more form in there..Are the pickups supposed to be really snug, i mean it's hard to get them back in, have to tap them down just to get them in ??????? and yeah it's an 87'

13. TBird1958

Mar 13, 2008
    Seattle Washington
    Yup, they're tighter than Mother Superior!
    The foam is ok, but don't give up on the springs too quick, it is a better way to mount the pups.

14. nitrofix

Jan 15, 2009
    Miami Fl
    Just put them back in with the springs, didn't have any foam, don't know if the springs are working as they should or the pickups are so tight i just tighten the pup's down to where I need them to be..after raising the pup's I did get more output from them, not as much as I thought so I guess it's time for a new amp with more headroom....btw I got a hipshot coming next week can't wait to install it and get the action just the way I want it..I'm digging this Bird more everyday...