1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

For You Tube Guys!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Red Planet, Sep 9, 2008.

1. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    Looks like we are getting new production Preamp Tubes from the Old Mullard Factory in England!

I am very excited about this.

They are making an ECC83, ECC82, and ECC81 which are the equivilent to a 12AX7, 12AT7, and 12AU7.

Not sure if they are available yet but I definately will be trying these out.

Looks like they have taken the classic Tube design and improved upon it.

http://www.techtubevalves.com/index.php

2. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Ocoee, TN
    Hmm . . . interesting.

I wonder if they'll be any good.

3. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    For all I know they may suck a major loogy, however if I had to guess, they will be better than anything made in China, or Soviet Block Countries.

From the looks of the design parameters they may have greatly improved microphonics and reduced tolerences to a very nice looking spec.

Only time will tell, though it appears these guys know what they are doing. From what I read, there was something about the factory has been running all along (just not making tubes) and my guess is with the Cathode Ray business slowing with all the new Technologys, they needed something to do.

4. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 29, 2006
    Maryland
    President, CEO, CFO, CIO, Chief Engineer, Technician, Janitor - Reiner Amplification
    Hopefully they will be better than the ones GT have been touting.

5. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta

These are manufactured at this facility. The stuff GT pawns off is made in China.

I'm sure this product would be miles beyond anything GT has ever offered.

6. K-Funk

K-Funk

Sep 24, 2007
    Auburn Hills, MI
    I've got a couple vintage Mullards in the preamp of my Mesa Bass 400; if these new tubes are moderately priced, I'll grab a few and do a comparison.....

7. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    For the record I dont think these new tubes are ment to be a Mullard copy. They have taken the ECC83 design and further improved upon it. When folks see these they imediately assume "Mullard reissue" which is something we have been spoon fed by folks like New Sensor and GT. I dont get the idea these are intended to sound like a Mullard. I believe more they are intended to sound like a Tech Valve.

8. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    I spoke with Andy Blades of Blackburn Micro Tech solutions today.

He said these tubes will be available for sale in October. He also stated the info regarding pricing, shipping, web site forum will be up soon.

He told me they will be selling these products direct, with no dealers.

9. CRT production hasn't happened outside of Asia for about 30 years. They might have been making radar or transmitter tubes.

BTW, though their quality control is sometimes spotty, I've found that lots of Russian and Chinese tubes are very good. I'd rather have the New Sensor Tungsol 6550 than the original (or the GE 6550A for that matter).

10. thumpbass1

thumpbass1

Jul 4, 2004
    Groove Tubes is a company that buys tubes from the same scources as every other tube vendor out there. The company speil is that they test and match tubes better than anyone else, along with their color code system of determining the headroom/breakup response you want from any set of power tubes you buy from them. They also rebrand the tubes they sell with their logo. Aspen Pittman did start up some limited boutique U.S. production on I believe a 6L6 and 12AX7 type. With that said you are buying Sovtek's and JJ's and whatever chinese made tubes they happen to buy up and slap their logo on. If you read Aspen's huge tube amp book he tells you where he's getting his tubes as well as giving some great info on the new and vintage stuff as well. Now that Fender has recently bought Groove Tubes one has to wonder what direction GT will take.

11. quickervicar

quickervicar Supporting Member

Jul 21, 2006
    Lancaster, PA
    ^ +1

I do seem to recall that they were trying to make their own 6L6 GE-replicas on the old GE production machinery that they got from the factory in Kentucky. (my memory is foggy on this, so please correct me) I think they had to shut down the line because of their own (or a supplier's) QC issues.

FWIW, I tried one of the GT-Mullard 12AX7 in a friend's Fender Blues Deluxe and it really made a nice improvement. Much smoother high end and got rid of the nasty honk. Maybe we just got a good one?

12. GT said they were making a 6L6GC and a 6CA7 domestically a couple years back, but what they didn't say was that the tubes themselves were made in China with only the final assembly being in the US.

...and a boatload of BS.

I don't expect much will change.

13. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The greatest accomplishment Aspen Pittman ever made was causing unsuspecting tube amp lovers to throw away perfectly good tubes in order to buy new ones, which he just happens to sell.

14. Interesting anyways.

Didnt think they would get away with it due to the gases and what not which are created in the production of tubes

15. Red Planet

Red Planet

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    I am full aware of what GT does. Not trying to bash them but their testing is IMO sucky at best. In my statement I was refering to the 12AX7M's (no longer available) which were entirely made in China but GT allowed many a consumer to believe they were making these.

BTW I have read the book along with a few others in my time. I hope I'm not coming off rude, I am not trying to be.

As far as prefering a New Sensor Product over one of these, I would say what ever floats anyones boat.

If no one ends up excited about these new High Spec Preamp Tubes then I suggest they move on to another topic. I am really excited about these. I could end up not liking them but this sure is a move in the right direction for a change. Instead of "Snake Oil" we are going to have a "Real McCoy" for a choice.

This is indeed a new Preamp Tube Design being offered, not a rebranded same ol same ol.

The idea is that these are some brand spaking new products being made from a company with a reputation for excellence. That is what has me excited.

Here is who they are.

http://www.blackburnmicrotech.com/

http://www.lpdlabservices.co.uk/

16. quickervicar

quickervicar Supporting Member

Jul 21, 2006
    Lancaster, PA
    Just to hijack a bit, I'm going to disagree with JimmyM on this. The greatest thing that Aspen Pitman ever did for me was to give me a much broader basic knowledge of what each tube type should sound like and how a seemingly insignificant piece of information (like country of origin of a preamp tube) can drastically change the tone of your amp. The countless pages of old amp schematics in his book were also very helpful!

Back OT, I hope these new 'British' tubes offer us something that we haven't had before. It could be superior tone, or longer life. Or just a different tone from what we're used to. More options are always better than too few.

17. so are these tubes meant to be sort of a direct replacement for 12AU7, and 12AX7's?
    If so, which ones are for which? And someone get a damn price on these!

18. I wasn't comparing New Sensor preamp tubes to the new Micro Tech tubes. I was expressing my preference for the New Sensor made "Tungsol" 6550 over the original. (It takes more voltage and puts out more power.) You have strongly expressed your distaste for Russian and Chinese tubes as though they are all junk, and I just wanted to add a reality check. While there WAS a time when what you say about that was true, it's not anymore.

... as am I. If they have Mullard's old tooling, combining that with modern designs could make for some VERY good results.

Agreed.

19. ECC83 = 12AX7
    ECC82 = 12AU7
    ECC81 = 12AT7

20. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Audiophiles were doing that long before Pittman ever entered the scene.