Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

For your persual and critique...

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by supermonkey, May 17, 2004.

1. supermonkey

supermonkey

Mar 15, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    ...here are some exemplary Solution Science Systems tracks.
    Take your pick, or collect them all!

From "Daemon Ex Machina" (our first LP):
    Here's our #1 Summer Jam That Sounds Like Rush -- "Hey Butterfly":
    http://www.solutionsciencesystems.com/sounds/hey.mp3
    And a slightly less feel-good track, "The Heavy Fist of Maxwell's Daemon":
    http://www.solutionsciencesystems.com/sounds/fist.mp3

And from the live vault, a slightly stumbly-bumbly King Crimson cover:
    http://www.solutionsciencesystems.com/sounds/CJs_EZ$.mp3

Your comments and barbs of criticism appreciated. TIA.

2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I will listen to them when I get home from work.

3. I like it, very eclectic and tight. Seems to me that I hear a touch of Rush, STP..and perhaps a dash of Golden Earring in there (I think). Really good mix also...
    Makes me wonder; with really good bands like this out there, how is it that Korn has a record deal ????

4. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Very nice! I dig the bass tones you get. You write interesting yet very appropriate lines, not as easy as it seems! I like the changes you all do, they are pulled off well. I can hear the Rush influence in Hey Butterfly.

I like the walk you do in the intro to "Heavy fist...". My only critique here would be to encourage your drummer to go a little fuller in the beginning parts. Love the high vocals! Not to into the tinkly thing in the quiet break, but no big deal. Good treatment of the vocal part after, reminds me a bit of Opeth.

Very good!

5. sweet, i like the heavy fist song the best, but i couldn't get the KC cover to load... still liked the fist song the best!
    btw good tone for all the band, nobody outdoes the other or anything!

Charlie

6. Baofu

Baofu

Mar 8, 2003
    WA/CA
    What kind of auto-wah were you using the interlude/solo part in Hey Butterfly?

7. I can't even get onto the site, I want to listen to the song.

8. supermonkey

supermonkey

Mar 15, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Hey, thanks for checking our stuff out! I appreciate the kind words. We're very happy with how the record came out, so I'm glad the sound is translating, even through the MP3 layer.
    :hyper:

We get a little more rowdy live, Blisshead. Our drummer would be the last person you'd need to egg on! :D

Baofu, I used the inimitable DOD FX27B envelope filter for the solo section of "Hey Butterfly".

BTW - I checked access to the site and had no problems. Sorry to those who are having trouble.

9. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    awesome Chris Squire-isms near the end of 'Hey Butterfly.'

You guys interested in gigging on the Gulf Coast at all?
    We're trying to get established in ATL, but haven't quite got up to speed yet.
    I'd be glad to try to get you some contacts down here. I still owe J'raj some...they're coming, I promise!

Really dig what you guys are doing. I detect some similarities in our approach, though you guys are a lot COOLER!

This freaked me out a little bit, promo-wise:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Really enjoyed your website, very nice.
    You guys attending the Rush concert in August?

What say we swap CD's? I gots to hear more of this stuff. Me likey LOTS!

10. supermonkey

supermonkey

Mar 15, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Consider yourself PM'd.

11. Well, you know I've had the privilege of complimenting you in person after an SSS show, but I'll do it here, too! Great songs, great bass lines. I really like the way you synthesize your influences into a style that is your own. To all TBers, I highly recommend getting a copy of "Daemon Ex Machina".. you will not be sorry.

12. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    Likewise, my friend of simian nomenclature.

I really dig what I've seen and heard, can't wait to hear the CD in all it's digital glory!
    I agree with Dave's observation- it's really interesting to hear the 'stylistic homages' in your songs, yet it has a vibe of its own; I really admire how you guys do that. It's quite the juxtaposition of thingamawhatsits.

thanks again.

13. supermonkey

supermonkey

Mar 15, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    It's the very crux of the apostrophe, so to speak. But it's funny how much it gets stamped by each of our internal filters though.
    We actually started out aiming even more towards pastiche. Wanted it to be tongue-thru-cheek obvious almost like Spinal Tap. Hence all the keyboards and crazy voices.
    But you can't run from yourself, I suppose. We love the source material too much. :D

Anywho, thanks again for listening and commenting.

And might I also personally attest that our own Dave Siff is a formidable ally and champion of the low end?

14. Why, thank you, sir! :)
    Hopefully I'll be back on a stage somewhere at some point..

15. supermonkey

supermonkey

Mar 15, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Xush -
    Got your disc this wknd -- very nice. Thanks for sending.
    Sound is killer -- a solid cut above what I usually hear these days. Well-mixed and mastered.
    And surprise! surprise! Melody! That almost forgotten element of modern music. I also like the "noise/fx" elements.

Kudos! I'll be looking out for you, should you make your way to the ATL.....

16. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    thank you kindly! I got yours today, I'll settle in for a hard listen this evening.
    Thanks again!

17. supermonkey

supermonkey

Mar 15, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
  18. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Liked your songs a lot, cool lines :)

19. The_major_Rajor

The_major_Rajor

Apr 15, 2003
    Canada
    I like the lifeson-esque guitar solo in the butterfly song, and the lead bass line near the end as well.

20. supermonkey

supermonkey

Mar 15, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Thx, guys. Our guitarist has certainly studied Alex's moves. And we've been known to get all Moving Pictures now and then.

Like your quote, Juneau. "Obscured..." is often totally overlooked in their catalog.