1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ford Country Squire

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by DerHoggz, Oct 22, 2013.

1. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Banned

Feb 13, 2009
    Western Pennsylvania
    1989 to be precise. Found one with really low miles for a good deal. Haven't seen it in person, but the pics don't show enough wear for the odometer to have rolled over. What are your thoughts?

2. If that is what you want and it goes through inspection buy it. I have two wagons a Subaru outback and a 2000 Ford Taurus GT both are great for gigs so they work for me

3. nortonrider

nortonrider

Nov 20, 2007
    I seem to see the "hipster" type people driving those old odd vehicles. (fake wood paneled station wagons, Taxi's, old cop cars, etc.....). I guess it must be part of their non-conformist attitudes. A fashion accessory if you will.

Are you a hipster?

On another note........ I bet it would make a good demolition derby car.

4. RED J

RED J Lol

Jan 23, 2000
    Kinda like the old "Ranch Wagon". They had a real cast chrome Ranch Wagon logo on the rear panel. My buddy and I in Junior high found one parked where the logo had broken off after the W. We took a pencil and made it Ranch Wreck. O.T I know but thanks for inspiring the memory.

5. 1989 had the option of a Windsor 351 cu in. engine or Windsor 302 do you know which engine is in it?

6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I saw one of these on the road Sunday, in near mint condition. It had "PRE SUV" on the license plate. :D

-Mike

7. surgay

surgay Banned

Sep 27, 2013
    My father-in law always had one of these. Don't remember him having much trouble with anything on the car.

8. Robus

Robus

Aug 25, 2013
    Chicago Area
    We used have an early 70s one when I was a kid. Fond memories of the family at the drive in movies in that. They had these cool fold-up seats in the back.

9. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    If the car has seen any salt watch for frame rot up front and where the transmission crossmember bolts on.

10. My dad had a 1989 Country Squire with the FI 5.0L

It would smoke the back tires like nobodies business, you could tow with it (18.5' boat with a 455 Olds engine), and it had more cargo space than just about any SUV.

11. My parents had a 1985 Crown Vic wagon, that thing was a beast to drive.

lowsound

12. I bet that's the first time in a long time that "Squire" has been the correct spelling in a post here.

13. RED J

RED J Lol

Jan 23, 2000
    Great. Now watch somebody get contrary and spell it Squier and defend it. :D

14. Then we can all try to spell "Citroen 2CV" and "De Tomaso Mangusta"!

My mom put a lot of miles on a '56 Ford wagon like this one, even the same two-tone:

1956_Ford_Station_Wagon_A3305.

And a '63 Ford Galaxie wagon like this one, but in dark green:

$(KGrHqVHJE!FGvgI)BC7BRwd8c5uPw~~_4.

15. RED J

RED J Lol

Jan 23, 2000
    My G.F.'s dad had a '64 very similar. Red interior. Pretty sharp. Plus, He was a drummer. Handy.

16. sneha1965

sneha1965

Nov 7, 2007
    NOVA
    I have many fond memories of family vacations across country and camping in this thing.

[​IMG]

17. DerHoggz

Feb 13, 2009
    Western Pennsylvania
    No, but it's way more awesome than your average college-kid Neon.

Not sure, they are both fairly reliable from my limited knowledge though?

So look around the bay for rust and degraded plastic?

Yeah these are based on the Crown Vic. Basically a brick s**thouse, probably a great zombie apocalypse car. Gas mileage is bad, not terrible. Only question is can it do highway speeds reasonably? 65mph is max around here, so can it do ~71mph well?

18. It'll probably do 120mph... it'll easily run 85-90mph on the highway.

19. DerHoggz

Feb 13, 2009
    Western Pennsylvania
    I figured, kind of a stupid question. I guess looking at it ~25 years in the future the ~150hp seems anemic. Although my "dream car" is an old air-cooled Beetle, which puts out somewhere in the 30s.

20. RED J

RED J Lol

Jan 23, 2000
    60 MPH, pedal to the metal !