1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ford Inline 6 Cylinder

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by NKUSigEp, Mar 10, 2008.

1. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    Anyone else feel a deep inner connection to this engine or is it just me? LOL

My family's had 8 F150's with the 4.9L and all went over 250K miles without any major issues. My current '92 is at 195K and will need a new clutch soon but otherwise it's a tank.

2. Ford knows how to build a truck, nothing else though.

lowsound

3. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Ford straight 6's are quite the little tanks. I wish my f-150 had one of those rather than the 5.0. (I need to rebuild that thing. Burning a bit of oil and such)

4. ElephantTalk

ElephantTalk

Jan 20, 2005
    Indy
    I've got an inline 6, but it's a toyota. :bag:

5. Bryan316

Bryan316 Banned

Dec 20, 2006
    Detroit
    Got the 5.4L Triton engine. That block will outlast the chassis.

A local engine shop took a truck Triton engine, and threw it into a Mustang. They had an EASY 400HP monster with about $2000 worth of custom parts. That's a hell of an upgrade!

And the only inline engine I have familiarity with, is a straight 8 from a 1931 Studebaker President 4-door state sedan. Still in my father's garage. It was used in presidential motorcades. Looooots of childhood memories of watching dad tinker with that enormous engine. Heh heh, so much size, so little horsepower! HAH! Oh the old days...

6. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    If you can keep the spark plugs from blowing out.

7. Yeahhhh! I have a 300 in my pickup, a '79, pic is in one of my previous posts. Awesome engine, feels like a tractor, easy to work on, relatively good on gas, (3-sp on tree). I only have about 140,000Km on it and I have owned it since it was new. Not a daily driver now and it never sees the winter salt.

8. I spent YEARS hunting with a guy that had an old F100. That old truck would go anywhere with just locker in the rearend and no 4WD. It must have had a half million miles on that sixer and still ran great. The rockers rattled for about a minute everytime he starteded it, until the oil got to the top of the motor :)

The straight six in my 82 Wagoneer is just as impressive and long lived. 250K miles, no drips, no leaks, no burning oil. I have the service records for it since new, it's NEVER missed an oil change. Oil changes = Long Life :)

9. Bryan316

Bryan316 Banned

Dec 20, 2006
    Detroit
    77K miles and I'm still on the original sparkers.

10. jsbass

jsbass

Sep 3, 2006
    WI
    BEST TRUCK ENGINE EVER PRODUCED!!! These suckers take a beating and run forever. My 302 is starting to burn oil, the oil level is getting a tad lower everytime I check it, which is pretty often. I never noticed any real blue smoke though, so it's burning it very slowly. I park in the same spot everynight as well and I haven't spotted any leaks. :atoz:

11. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    The Ford 300 I-6 also produced more torque than the 302 V-8 they put in the trucks.

12. RWP

RWP

Jul 1, 2006
    The only inline 6 I ever owned was in a Triumph TR-6. Great engine, however nothing else about the car was any good. :meh:

13. Mike N

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    Problem is there are only three threads holding the plugs in the head. When you go to change the plugs (which itself is a chore) you may wind up pulling the threads out of the head with the plug, or worse you may break the plug off in the head.

Ford knows there is a problem with the 5.4 and other Triton V8's but won't admit it.

14. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    What the English think about the Ford F150 ().

15. They really need to be mated to a 3 speed manual on the column to be appreciated. About 2 feet of clutch pedal travel and engagement and you have to move the shift lever about 3 feet!! I can't believe I used to drive one like that. I probably couldn't do it now :rolleyes:

16. Mike N

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York

I had an old Chevy 1/2 ton with a 350 and a three on the tree.

Wasn't the easiest thing to speed shift at the dragstrip.

17. LOL!! Nope!! I learned to drive on a right hand drive Austin Mini that had a "magic wand" gear shift. A very similar concept........That was fun. No sycros in the trans either. Findem, grindem and off you go :)

18. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    I loved that motor! I think Ford wasn't selling enough replacement parts for them, so they were discontinued. I ended up buying a Chevy this time around. So far so good.

19. ubado

ubado

Mar 7, 2007
    FL
    Dig'em :)

I've had a 99' F-150 with the straight 6'er and an 80' Mustang with a straight 6 200ci... both were great... but especially in the Mustang.

For the F-150... great engine, very responsive... but they do have a problem with the head gaskets going when you get to 100k (Ford doesn't let that info out since it's a small percentage compared to #'s sold). Not as good on gas vs. the V-8's. (you'd imagine it would be better on gas... but the F-150 is a bit too heavy a truck for the 6'er.)

20. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    Well...most people who go for a walk in the American countryside are eaten by a bear. So you need a gun rack. But most people who go for a walk in the English countryside, AREN'T eaten by a bear. So they don't.

You see right now I'm driving through a tiny little village, very rural, miles from any big city. And if this were America, it would be full of people doing...whatever it is they do. Incest mostly.

I think that last comment is hilarious! Especially since everyone in the monarchy is a product of incest! HAHAHA

A '99 with a Straight-6?!?! Funny since '97 was the last year they were made. Are you sure about that one? LOL And actually, I was under the impression that it's one of the engines with the least amount of blown head gasket problems out there, regardless of how many are in use. The I6 gets about 17 mpg, V8 gets 14 mpg...

I'm just at a loss here...where are you getting your data?