1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ford Mustang and music gear

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by James_B, Aug 19, 2012.

1. Does anyone know how much music gear, can fit into a 2010 Ford Mustang?

I have no problem buying a gig bag.

I need to buy a used/pre owned car in the next year or two. Just found out some american muscle is an option. :hyper: Who knew being young and responsible pays off.

I'm 23 out of college and making money. Is this the time buy?

Over the next year.I can easily save up 10 grand. I also have some money I've been saving since I was like 16. I can dip into that and not have to worry about car payments.

Give me advice. Oh wise bass players!!!

2. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    There was a thread recently that covered this, where I believe a poster opted against it after trying and went with an Escape as he couldn't fit Jack Schlit in it, as the trunk opening was a joke.

3. Doesn't it get cold, snowy, and icy in Canada? I probably wouldn't get a Mustang as a primary car due to the amount of snow my area gets and I'm well south of Canada.

4. I drive a 95 pick up that is terrible in the snow. You just need to drive slow and be aware of your surroundings.

5. Ziltoid

Ziltoid I don't play bass

Apr 10, 2009
    Canada
    I know I'm of no help but I'd get something AWD instead. :ninja:

6. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Long Island, NY.
    That was me. I couldn't get anything in it with the way the trunk was setup, and the back seat left much to be desired too. Unless you're rocking a two 2x10 setup with a micro head then I'd definitely suggest you stay clear of it. TBH, I don't think a single 1x12 cab would of fit in it either, just given the way the car opens up.

Fun car, though. I had a lot of fun driving it around, but it just wasn't practical at all.

7. What about a 1x15 combo? 21" x 23"H x 14"D - weight: 57 lbs. With maybe a small 2x10 extension cab, for those special occasions.

8. bigtexashonk

bigtexashonk Supporting Member

I carry a GK112 Neo, a Genz Benz Streamliner 900 and a Trailer Trash board/bag in the trunk of my 2010 Shelby Cobra Mustang with no issues.

9. recreate.me

recreate.me

Apr 2, 2010
    Ontario
    Hey! I am a Canadian driving a 2012 ford mustang as my primary car (27, and first new car, so responsibility does pay off) anyway, gig bags fit in the trunk way easier then cases but a case will fit. Hard cases DO NOT fit in the back seat flat, so it's a bummer.

Also the trunk physically will fit a TC electronic rs 212 BUT it won't get though the opening (the RS112 won't fit either). So what I do is put my bass in a gig bag in the trunk with my traynor yba 200 and pedal board and cables and put the cab in the back seat.

It works out fine if you dot have anything bigger than a small 212 ( like an avatar 212 would never fit in the car lol it's gotta be an inline 212 or 210).
    Your gonna want an old blanket to put over your back seats too so the rough shell of the cab doesn't cut up the seats.

Mustangs work fine, you just need to think through what gear to bring. I am looking into the Orange isobaric cabs in the future as they as so small and still kill it sound wise.

Good luck!

10. Seat cover is must I have a dog.

11. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Cali Intergalactic Mind Space - always on the edge
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    I wouldn't spend all my savings on a car. That's not the responsible thing to do. ;)

I suggest looking into a good pre-owned Subaru Outback Wagon or Honda CRV. Holds all your stuff, AWD, great for dogs and just good for getting around.

Congrats on getting a money making job!

12. 1SHOT1HIT

1SHOT1HIT

Feb 17, 2012
    This is almost the EXACT same dimensions of my Fender BXR 100 1x15 combo, except, it's 25"H so yours is actually an inch shorter.

It will fit, BUT it's not something I'd want to do all the time, once or twice every few weeks maybe but anything more I'd probably pass.

I'm talking in the back seat not in the trunk it DEFINITELY will not fit through the trunk opening. :mad:

And keep in mind my Mustang is a 2007 GT so they may have made some minor changes with the recent body change.

13. I have totalled both a 2002 and 2006 Mustang GT, so I can answer this one. I can easily fit:

1 Schroeder 1210
    1 Schroeder 1215
    1 4U Rack
    1 Pedaltrain PT-2 Hardcase
    1 Musicman Stingray in a Hardcase
    1 Big Backpack with all cables and backup cables

And there was still enough room for the guitarist to ride shotgun, and throw his guitar and gig backpack in the back, with room to spare.

With the back seats down you can fit a LOT of crap in those things. Just leave the 410 at home and buy Schroeder!

14. Drunk Heffalump

Drunk Heffalump Tone that I have. Skill? Oh, that? Well....

Feb 28, 2009
    Great White North
    Got one 2013 so same 'bassic' trunk. Can't fit JACK in there. Could not get a short scale Gibby V in the trunk ( hard shell ) Might squeak a battery powered amp an iPod, one cable and a pick, however you might have to forgo the amp
    Not the real reason I got the car in the first place anyway.
    Leave gear schlepping to vehicles that CAN handle it: F150"s Explorer's, Rangers etc. Your back will thank you. That and if you take any of the above you can get an 8X10 in no problem.

:D

15. I drive an '05 Mustang. It's a great car, but terrible for gigging.

The entirety of my gear fits into my car - barely. My head goes into the small space that can be laughably called a "trunk", and I put my pedal board and two guitars in the back seat. My 2x12 fits -barely- into the passenger seat.

If my girlfriend wants to see my band, she knows she has to drive separately, since there is literally no room for a passenger. If I could afford it, I'd get a more gig friendly car.

16. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    LOL. We rented a Mustang convertible in Hawaii a few weeks ago (my 14-year-old daughter's dream car). We had three large suitcases plus carry-ons. We could get one large suitcase and one carry-on in the trunk. We looked totally doofus driving from the airport to the hotel with two big ol' suitcases sticking up in the back seat next to my daughter.

17. GK 410 cab, 1001RBII, fender jazz V in a hard case, pedal board and tool box full of cables and all the other stuff i need all fit in the mustang, just not in the useless trunk, and you dont have room to take your girlfriend along.

18. I would personally look for something like an Impreza WRX, just as fun (if not more so) as the Mustang, AWD capability, will almost fit a full band.

Peace,
    Greg

19. I have an 02 Mustang. I hate the dang thing for a myriad of reasons, but as far as gigging goes it was impossible. I had to use my wife's Sebring to get my stuff in there.

Now mind you, I had a 2x15 cab. A 4x10 probably won't cause much problem. But the one time I did try and get my cab in there, I tore up my center console. Now it just sits loosely in my car :p

20. UncleFluffy

UncleFluffy

Mar 8, 2009
    California
    Head Tinkerer, The Flufflab
    Mrs F has a 2008 Mustang and we usually take it to her gigs. Bass, spare bass, Carvin BX1200 in 4u rack w/ tuner and power conditioner, BRX10.2 2x10 cab.

Have taken a 1x18 and 2x10 and the rest in it in the past but it was very, very tight.

Any more than that (if we're taking the PA, etc) and we go in my truck.