Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ford Power for $5000

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by BlackNeckJspl, Feb 16, 2003.

1. BlackNeckJspl

BlackNeckJspl

Dec 14, 2002
    Indiana
    quote:

Originally posted by Mike N

How much power you think you could get from a F*rd V8 for $5k? How many inches we talking here? Big block, small block? Nitrous or no? Im just curious..........

Starting with big blocks you can almost get a 460 Cobrajet crate motor 535 hp, $5395.00 from PAW 1999 catalog. Yes it has been a couple years since I priced out speed toys. Of course going for cubes 521 Ford Dinosaur strikes my fancy Long block $3595, Short block $3095.00. So adding new Cobrajet heads ($2000) on to a 521 short block would be the way I would spend $5000. Using the fairly conservative 1.5 hp per cubic inch method that would put the 521 Cobrajet’s hp around 780! Of course if I went the nitrous / supercharger route the 460 long block kit for $1999 would be a great place to start. I will post small block info later.

2. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Youre forgetting the intake, carb, headers, ignition, etc.....in the $5k. And I dont think the engine would produce 780 hp with the Cobra heads, unless they had some serious port work done to them(which cost $). Also, what are the cam specs on the crate engine?? That would probably need to be changed, too.

I built my 468 from carb to pan for $5k, and it produces 600+ hp in average summer air. I saved alot of $ by doing alot of the work myself(assembly, porting etc....). I also used a cast crank and stock rods, which saved even more $.

3. BlackNeckJspl

BlackNeckJspl

Dec 14, 2002
    Indiana

4. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    lets see...what'd i do with $5000 to spend on my 240sx?

RB25DET straight 6 turbo engine + tranny - $3k
    Silvia front end conversion parts - $800
    OEM limited slip differential - $500
    and use the rest for some M4D ph47 r1mZ, y0!

nowhere near the kind of hp you guys are talking about, but this is plenty to make me VERY happy.

5. What body are we talking about here? I assume mustang..probably 64 1/2 to 70, and fastback?

My dad used to have a 69 fastback which is definatly the coolest car we've owned.

and my brother's 73 Challenger is finally running. 440 big block 7.2 Liter 600 HP beast.

6. Jake! You're still alive!

Anyway. Nothing will ever beat a Ranger with a Mustang 302. :D

7. I'd go get a 86-87 GN or Ttype - $1800-$3000 (depending on if you like pretty)

Pump, Greenies, Adj. Regulator, Chip, New IC hoses, Turn boost up to fit the fuel, Install a switch on the A and F ports of the ALDL (to lockup the converter when you want). Slicks/rims. - $500

Go bust out some 12's all day.

TA-49 turbo, Modded IC, 3" Downpipe. - $1200.

So, at worst you're at $4700 WITH THE CAR.

Maybe a decent cam, not really needed. Plus the lifters - $220

11's on the track. Check out GN / Ttype Website

Not my thing anymore....I decided that corners and other dynamics are more fun. But turbo power....damn. Addictive. I just got tired of going fast in a straight line.

Or, Take that $5000 and go buy a decent used sport bike. Then go soil your shorts :D

8. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    tufnuts, I have a friend who did just that, extensive mods to a grand national. Put some twin turbos with some mad boost to them, and in the end he was getting 11.20's out of it, but unfortunately kept spitting crankshafts out of them. Mike, thats also pretty brave IMO to go cast crank and stock rods with that kind of HP. They make some very reasonably priced forged cranks, and H beam rods nowadays, which is more of a good insurance policy than anything.

Most of your horsepower will come from the heads, and top end setup.

9. lneal

lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    But, when you put a car together that can do a 12 in the quarter, pull a 1.3 on the skidpad and has enough brakes to stop a train, well, that's when the real fun starts!

10. I think you missed the point. The thread seemed like how much power you could get for $XXXX.

*shakes head* This is why I don't like to bench race anymore. It's a constant case of "This is better". I'd rather just get out and have fun, rather than theorize all day.

11. I can only imagine being in a 12 second car. In the mid-seventies, a friend of mine had a stock 340 Duster with a 3.90 rear and everyone was telling him it was probably a 12 second car. We took it to the track and it's best time of the day was 14.33.

It's still the fastest thing I've been in.

12.00 - WHOA!:eek:

Mike

12. lneal

lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    The 2003 Corvette will do 12's all day long. Stock.

13. Mike N

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Duration int 310/244 exh 320/254 lift in .588” ex.614”

Flat tappet or Roller? Not enough cam for 780 hp, imo. My solid in my 468 is .650" intake/.630" exh with duration of 268/279 @ .050.
    Any flow figures on the heads? Im curious as to what they flow out of the box. (My ported oval port BBC heads flow 306cfm @ .600" lift, which is pretty close to a box stock Brodix BB2 head).
    Any idea what the compression ratio of that engine is? Minimally to make 780 hp Id think youd need 12.5 to 1 squeeze, and a roller cam somewhere in the .700" lift range.

The power to ci ratio I used was from Super Ford magazine technical articles and a fairly conservative figure.

Id consider that to be a very generous figure.

14. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I'd LOVE to build a 240sx. I can't seem to find a decent one around me, though I just started looking last week.

This Sunday my mechanic and I went to check out a Datsun 280Z. Man, I was THIS close to buying it- till I checked out the underbody. Rust city. :(

15. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA

i got mine RIGHT before the sport compact car and grassroots motorsports articles came out. they became MUCH more expensive and harder to find within weeks, much like what happened to the mazda 323gtx.

i would LOVE a seriously old school Z car.

[​IMG]

16. Mike N

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    I used 7/16" rod bolts, and we beam polished/magnafluxed the rods, etc.....to make sure they'd be ok. As far as the crank, Im not using a tranny brake or a two step, so Im not worried about it.

My other engine(a 477 cube BBC) has a forged crank, Crower rods, 4 bolt mains etc....

17. BlackNeckJspl

BlackNeckJspl

Dec 14, 2002
    Indiana
    You asked for the cam in the crate motor. I would use a larger one in the Dinosour kit. Since $5000 is not in the motor budget I can't build it and dyno it so useing a knowlegable reference source is the best I can do. So what is all the fuss about hourse power the 428 SCJ was only rated at 335.;)

BTW if I had $5000 to spend I would build a garage!!! Sucks working on you car in the weather carring your tools up from the basemnt. :(

Since I moved away from The twin Cities I am 600 miles away from the my friends garage.:mad:

18. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA

word! insulated, heated, air conditioned, drain in the floor, sink w/hose, a few pull down lights, perhaps a pit or a cheapish lift, huge wheeled craftsman toolbox, and a computer to look at all my super sweet repair manuals on CD.

19. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Yeah, the other car we were looking for is an '85-87? Corolla, but apparantly the kids are all over those, too. "Drifting?" I dunno. We were just going to cram a big ass engine into it. I need to get with the times and jump ahead of the trends.