Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Forearm numbness

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by pamlicojack, Nov 10, 2004.

1. I know this is similar to other threads but yet completely different in a way ...

I work on a computer for 8 hours a day and experience numbness in my forearm where it rests agains the desktop. A wrist/forearm brace has cured that problem but now I'm finding that it's starting to happen when I play my Rickenbacker 4003. It doesn't seem to happen with my Jazz or Ripper, probably due to their rounded bodies.

The simple answer may be to sell/trade the Ric for another Jazz or Precision but has anyone else had this problem and how did you remedy the situation? I tend to wear my basses low and play with a pick.

2. Maybe the Ric's sharp body edge just cuts blood circulation to your forearm (just like your desktop's edge)?

Good luck with that.

3. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    You should definitely stop resting your arm on the desktop. It is very bad for typing. Certain muscles are being used too much in that way. Hold your wrists straight, like an extension of the underarm. Then when setting straight up, straight shoulders it should do the job.

And take micro-pauzes often... not the ones the computer program tells you, but every half a sentence, just stop typing for two seconds. It gives your blood the time providing nurture and taking away waste. (lactate, CO2) And stretch your arms every twenty minutes.... etc.... it's for the better sake.

Pointing this out because I had to stop handwriting during college two years ago because of very bad usage of the computer. (actually the mouse and keyboard) It took a while when it was over.

Together with this advice > take dumbells and train your underarms AND upperarms AND shoulders together. I don't know if you go to the gym already, but if you don't > DO IT NOW. It can be that playin' the Ric is just an introduction to a bad time. Maybe you'll be feeling the same within two or three months when playing the Jazz.

Hoping to help you with this...please do take it into account, I know how hard it is to tackle the problem when falling down.

4. Also, never let your elbos rest on the armrests of your chair. That seems to have a similar effect.

- Dave

5. CJK84

CJK84

Jan 22, 2004
    Maria Stein, OH
    Maybe also use one of the ergonomic keyboards rather than the older standard type.

Supposed to allow you to type more naturally.

Good luck.