Foreign made basses.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Michael Jewels, Aug 8, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Have any of you gotten negative comments, or caught any flak for buying any foreign bass? I know a few people who had to defend a non U.S. made instrument for any of several reasons; they're not as well made, you're putting an American out of work, etc. This isn't just casual curiosity. I'm wondering what everyone's true beliefs on foreign made stuff is.

Mike J.
  2. I've got no problems wiht forgen stuff. My Gretsch was $1,200, and it was made in korea, it great quality, and i havnt had a single problem wiht it. I know there are some VERY high quality bass amps that are made in germany and other european countries. But hey, can you say German Sports cars? or how bout dem italians...

basicly, if its good quality, i'll buy it. If its bad, i wont. Theres plenty of bad seed's which are made in america. I think people began thinking that forgen equipment was second rate because its often the case from major manufaturers (i.e. Fender) where they go out of the country to make budget models, because of lower costs for labor, then they use cheeper materials so that too brings down the cost. Suddenly, everyone's thinking forgen gear is second rate.
  3. if im buying and import, it better have 4 wheels and air conditioning. as for something made of wood, buy american, you wont be sorry. (get it used and you'll score a good deal)
  4. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Believe it, ot not.....they have wood in other countries...;)
    Take a walk through your house....check out everything, including your clothes.....
    Hmmmm...wonder where it all comes from.....;)

The economy, as with the internet, is now world wide. If I like something, I buy it, no matter where it was made.
  5. agyeman

agyeman Member

Mar 6, 2001
    Bloody hell man. I live in the UK so Americans are for foriegn to me, so I don't really give a damn about some American who is out of a job. I would just tell that fool that the world doesn't revolve around America. :(
  6. JPAmorim

Jul 17, 2001
    Rio de Janeiro
    I agree!!!!
    Well said!!!

7. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    LMAO!!!!! :D

If it's well made, I don't care!!!!! So what you're saying is that I should buy a foreign guitar because if I buy USA, a foreigner w/lose his/her job. :)

Most of my basses are made in the USA, Spector Sadowsky, G&L, Warmoth, Ric, but some are not, Jay Turser, Spector Czeck.
  8. foolfighter24

foolfighter24 Guest

Apr 22, 2000
    I'm partial to the "bloody hell" portion of that post. :D

Either way is fine. Ain't nothin wrong with the ol Japanese Cars, so I don't really see the problem with a Japanese made bass!(unless they are made in the factory! :eek: ) Same goes with other countries.
  9. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Hell yeah. "America" ain't even a country!

I'll play any bass as long as it's good.
  10. Alright I'm gonna go full depth on this one.

A Japanese company who is basically out to make money can either buy an American company out or start one and make it seem non-asian (Ibanez/ESP) or not hide that it's made in asian it really doesn't matter cause there marketing techniques are so damn good anyway. They make 3 kinds of guitars (Cheap/Good/Private) The cheap guitars they build as cheaply as possible mark it off till they can get a good percentage of profit and ship it to America and the stores sell it for a higher price and you buy it and profit both the store and the makers of the guitar while you get a piece of crap waste of metals and wood. It's the same with the good guitar except for you pay way more then it's worth they still little to make it and they profit even more. Now theres the private if you ever gone to the ESP Japan website there are some real nice ass guitars they have which are still made for a cheap cost and big profit and the workers are paid even less and they are way overpriced so they are getting more and more money. So anyway they make money and you get a piece of crap.

In Europe there are no companies like this they make quality instruments over there but still the workers pay is like crap so they gain profit and you get a little cheaper instrument.

In America they sell there companies to other countries companies and get a whopping profit for bottom line japanese guitars. But there are some companies like Carvin who make there stuff with extremly good quality and sell it direct this cuts off the middleman's add-on price and companies like these are not greedy so there not supremly rich but they can have the satisfaction of selling great guitars for a great price and help the american economy.

Side Note:Carvin is begging to sell full-body acoustics made overseas which to me is bad but there not doing it for profit there doing it to stay in business to add on another factory takes money and they ensure people that the acoustics are high in quality we'll see how they hold up/
  11. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    what about F bass, Marleaux, Kinal to name a few. They are not made in the us and are incredible bass.
  12. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    I just whish that there were basses in the shops around here that weren't foreign.....

Hey, you us made bass players....would you please lift your eyes and ears above your borders?
    See, there are human beings out there:eek: !
  13. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    just to say that electric bass and guitars have been invented in usa, but luthery is a european skill. think to the east europe or to the italian tradition, stradivari and cremona...
    i'm not here to say that usa instruments are bad, i only want to say that there are instruments made outside the usa, boty mass producted and ccustom shop that are really good.
    want an example? when looking for an usa made fender jazz i finished buying a '82 japan vintage squier. in those years this basses were equipped with the american pickup and electroincs. believe it or not it sounded better than the 62 american reissue, than an american standard, a marcus miller and an active american jazz. add that the price was less than the half...the only bad thing is that when i see myself in the mirror while playing air guitar i see the reflected squier logo instead the fender one..
    the morale is try before you buy and when playing don't think to the name on the headstock!!
  14. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well this is absolute rubbish!! I have met several bass makers in the UK and they are generally one or two man operations, who pay themselves what they like!! So Overwater and Sei for example make high quality hand-made instruments on a small scale. Wal and Status have bigger operations, but they do "hand make" some instruments and I have known people who have worked for them - their pay was not "crap" !! :rolleyes:

No European instruments I have tried, have been any cheaper in the shops than UK -built instruments - except perhaps the Warwick budget ranges.

As barroso mentions Europe has a much longer tradition of building high quality instruments and Czech makers have a tradition that goes back centuries, in terms of double basses etc. The economy and currency are weak against those of the UK and US, so instruments made there compare favourably.

I think this whole thread just shows up the lack of awareness of what is going on outside the US, from most of those within! Foreign indeed! :(
  15. Oy ?

" they're not as well made " ?? so due to the fact that something is built in the United States of America, it is by definition " better " ?? what kind a crap is that ?

i don't give a rat's-butt where my bass is made, as long as it gives me the tone, feeling, etc that i want.

boojaka !!!
  16. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Ahhh....this patrionism (spelling?) is absurd. No offence, but it´s funny to see how Americans are so full of them selves. "No one makes this and that better then USA" etc.
    I can´t even go to movie without seeing the good ol' USA saving the whole world singlehandedly.

As others have stated here, if it sounds good, feels good, then I'll play it. No matter where it´s from.
  17. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    VoxMarshallHiwattSoundCityBurnsAshdownMullardCelestionRollsBentleyJaguarLotusMclarenWilliamsBMWFerrariLamborghiniAstonMartinYamahaKawasakiHondaLaverdaPorscheMotoGuzziMaseratiMinicooperRotosoundTheBeatlesTheStonesTheWhoOasisBlurSpiceGirlsTheYardbirdsTheAnimalsEricClaptonJackBrucePinkFloydQueenFleetwoodMacSexPistolsThinLizzyStingRodStewartFacesDavidBowieGenesisProperBeerCatherineZetaJonesLizHurley and the teletubbies...........

Not everything is (Was) American................
  18. I guess since we we're still kinda talkin bout basses i'll say this: Look at Samick they're makin alot of guitars out there that you wouldnt be thinkin of as a cheap foreign guitars,they're makin basses for washburn,ibanez,epiphone, and others i dont know even know of.
  19. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    ROTFL :)

ALL businesses are in it to make a profit!!!! That's what capitalism is all about baby!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.