Foreign MTDs

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by deathbloomslife, Jul 10, 2005.

1. Okay, Im looking at midrange priced basses, and in the lead is an Ibanez BTB400qm. BUT, Ive only heard good things in the MTD Gas Pics thread about MTDs... Well, only USA ones I should say.

Theres just a few posts regarding the foreign ones, like the saratoga and kingston models. So, what do you guys think of them??? What have you owners had to correct or deal with from this bass since purchasing it???

2. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I used to own one of the "old" passive 5 string Kingstons. While the playability and weight were great, it wasn't the most versatile instrument from a tonal perspective. I'd definitely pick a two-pickup active version if I bought another one.

Overall, the workmanship was excellent. But I had one with a maple board, and it shrank during the winter to the point where the sharp fret ends protruded beyond the edges. If you live in a dry climate, you may want to take that into consideration.
  3. they're good. I own a Czech and Korean and like both
  4. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I've got a Kingston Active 5 which I picked up from TB's own Tim Cole.

Amazing bass for the money. The playability is amazing and the sound is awesome. I don't think the 1pu issue is real as the sound cuts through well with the EQ set flat and the EQ itself is very versitile.

I would definately recommend one. Its the cheapest fretted bass I own and is as good as any of the other basses I own in terms of playability.
  5. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I live in a dry climate and I have never had that problem. I do keep a humidifier in each of my instrument cases and do my best to keep the inside of the cases between 40 to 45 percent humidity. The system has worked well for me as all of my basses stay pretty stable.

As for the import MTDs, I prefer the Czech made products a little more than the Korean made instruments that I have tried. The imports from both regions are very nice though.