1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Forensic experts! What the heck happened to this deer??

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Relic, Jan 25, 2012.

1. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    Warning - this is gross. view at your own risk.

Check it out, this is what greeted me this morning about 100' from my bedroom window:
    http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c208/mattmack/field.jpg

See the little speck? That was a deer carcass that was laying on the roadside in the woods off to the left of the frame. It had been hit by a car about 2-3 weeks ago. It's about 50-60' from where it was yesterday. Something moved it overnight last night...

Closer:
    it's half gone. It was not like that about 3-4 days ago. It was mangled at the time but the belly and guts were still there:
    http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c208/mattmack/carcass.jpg

Closed up of ribs, they look like they're been gnawed off pretty extensively, if you look closely you'll see (what look like) teeth marks. eew... yeah something's been gnawing on these but what? My best guess would be coyote? We get bears on rare occasion but I saw no tracks - bears are heavy.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c208/mattmack/ribs.jpg

So, what's been chomping on this thing?

2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    My guess would be coyote too...Fun chance for you to set up a stop action camera and get some pics at night.

3. Cougar? I doubt a coyote could drag it that far.

lowsound

4. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    No cougars here, but 'yotes? yep, we've been told they're here. Every now and then, we'll even get a bear but it's a pretty rare occasion. I'm in the central part of the state - much less wild stuff here than up north or south but we get stuff from time to time.

Tonite when I get home from work I'm going to set up a trail cam on it. We'll see what I can get.

5. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    We have Coy-dogs throughout our area, including here in the 'city'. About half an hour out, you can hear them at night. They've pretty fully moved back into the north east.

6. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Bigfoot....call the BFRO on Animal Planet, they'll investigate. I watch the show every Sunday night. It's awesome.

7. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Looks like it died.

8. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    I knew I could count on Mrak to solve this.:rolleyes: :bassist:

9. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    First laugh out loud post of the day. Thank you sir. :D

10. The Chupacabra. :D

11. But three could!

12. Actium

Actium

Jan 15, 2011
    ancient-aliens-th_0.

13. They are even showing up in greater numbers on Outer Cape Cod. Wherever small pets and deer go, so do they.

14. aborgman

aborgman Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2007
    Ypsilanti, MI 48197
    Possibly coyote - but that would be a rather long drag for coyotes. They'll haul a leg or similar piece around, but they usually don't move whole carcasses very far.

Coyotes and bears will always go for the entrails first - that is their favorite part.

15. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    I was hoping you'd chime in. Bobcat maybe?

16. Darth Handsome

Darth Handsome Banned

Oct 1, 2010
    Winnipeg
    .....and then I ate the bowl!

17. Lee H

Lee H

Nov 30, 2011
    Redding CA
    bear are heavy, but they do not "walk heavy".

an average size young black bear will weigh 160-170 lbs, while a full grown sow will be in the 335-350 range. Some of the old boars will go 500+ lbs, but this is really the rarity, not the norm. (like pigs, a female is a sow, and a male is a boar)

a 350 lb bear will have a front paw that is wider then an average person's hand, with fingers spread as wide as they can go. The same bear's rear paw will be the length os a size 10 boot, but wider. I have pics of my size 12 1/2 D boot completely inside a bear hind paw print.
    because a bear's paw is so large and soft, they do not leave as deep of a print as you think they should, and they can be absolutely silent, in the woods.
    and a bear could carry that carcass, with no more effort than a dog carrying a rabbit...

I am not saying that is what you have. Just that the possibility should not be ruled out

18. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    Wow, lots of good info, thanks!

19. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    But can you indeed conclude without a reasonable doubt they defecate in the woods?

20. Lee H

Lee H

Nov 30, 2011
    Redding CA
    absolutely...and I can even prove that.

since I live in the woods, I can find some and send it to you, for analysis. ...LOL