Forever curious about this. Two Basses?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by mjw, Aug 5, 2004.

1. mjw

Jun 12, 2001
    Spring, TX USA
    Hi All,

A long time ago, Denise Lasalle released a tune called "The Cleanup Woman".

To me, it always sounded like there were two basses playing, especially evident during the intro. I've put a 35-second clip here for your review: Cleanup Woman Clip

For you veterans, and/or those with really good ears, could you please have a listen and tell me what you think? Am I hearing a guitar and a bass, both being plucked with single notes, or perhaps a piccolo bass and a "regular" bass together, or what? For whatever reason, I've never really positivly "nailed" this one. Thanks! :)
  2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Hmm, tough call with that one. I think that could have been played either in the upper register of a standard tuned or possibly tenor tuned bass, or possibly on a baritone guitar/fender VI.
  3. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    I hear that song daily on the Muzak at work. I always thought, and still continue to think that it's a guitar...
  4. dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Muzak at work? opressive B*st*rds- that's just cruel.
  5. Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Hell yes. I'd turn an ink pen on myself or something.
  6. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Every band I seen or played with, played it with guitar & bass... If they played it.
  7. definitely sounds like a guitar and bass.
  8. sounds like guitar and bass to me too.

anyway, stanley clarke's piccolo bass sounded to me like guitar with a deep tone, and played percussively.