Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Forever curious about this. Two Basses?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by mjw, Aug 5, 2004.

1. mjw

mjw

Jun 12, 2001
    Spring, TX USA
    Hi All,

A long time ago, Denise Lasalle released a tune called "The Cleanup Woman".

To me, it always sounded like there were two basses playing, especially evident during the intro. I've put a 35-second clip here for your review: Cleanup Woman Clip

For you veterans, and/or those with really good ears, could you please have a listen and tell me what you think? Am I hearing a guitar and a bass, both being plucked with single notes, or perhaps a piccolo bass and a "regular" bass together, or what? For whatever reason, I've never really positivly "nailed" this one. Thanks! :)

2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Hmm, tough call with that one. I think that could have been played either in the upper register of a standard tuned or possibly tenor tuned bass, or possibly on a baritone guitar/fender VI.

3. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    I hear that song daily on the Muzak at work. I always thought, and still continue to think that it's a guitar...

4. dirtgroove

dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Muzak at work? opressive B*st*rds- that's just cruel.

5. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Hell yes. I'd turn an ink pen on myself or something.

6. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Every band I seen or played with, played it with guitar & bass... If they played it.

7. definitely sounds like a guitar and bass.

8. sounds like guitar and bass to me too.

anyway, stanley clarke's piccolo bass sounded to me like guitar with a deep tone, and played percussively.