Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Forget politics and religion...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Bushfire, Oct 19, 2005.

1. Music is the topic you've got to watch out for. Visit any musical forum (not an instrument one like TB) and you'll get posts about how people should die because they like a particular kind of music... :eyebrow:

Why all the hate?

2. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Obviously you've never actually heard country music.

3. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    I remember I used to frequent a 'punk rock' forum. Not a Warped tour-esque one, but a 'Crass-were-sellouts-The-Feederz-Rulez'. People would come on and talk about how they liked Cursive, or Minor Threat, or The Blood Brothers, and people would tear them apart. Common responses included:

"Well, you're obviously a racist homophobe"

"It must be holding conversations with all the ringing in your ears"

"God, why don't you just kill yourself!?"

If I had to take a guess I'd say that it had something to do with the way people, nowadays, create communities out of shared interests such as music. These communities are defined largely by what they reject, or whom they don't include in their ranks. Bashing other people's taste in music is the way in which they reaffirm their connection and membership in this 'community'; while at the same time intimidating others with the 'exclusivity' of their community.

That and some people really do need to just die and stop listening to boring music.

4. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    In the other places, they don't have the mods we have.

The mods help make this place enjoyable.

5. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Ashlee Simpson.

6. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words Supporting Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    Yes They Deserved to Die...

And I hope they burn in Hell!

7. That sadly mirrors society...

8. Joey3313

Joey3313

Nov 28, 2003
    Would this happen to be the mx punk forum by any chance?

9. Sounds about right, i remember being there and . . . bad times, thats all i can say

10. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Actually it was the old NN2S forum. I got turned on to some cool bands there, so there were some laughs, along with the soul-crippling flames and eviceration of Pennywise and Bad Religion fans.