1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Forgive me brothers (and sisters)

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Marley's Ghost, Apr 14, 2010.

1. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    My band is about to do the unspeakable. We are covering Freebird at our next show. :eek::eek::eek:

*crouches like a Spartan behind shield to await the raining of arrows* :bag:

2. scott123

scott123

Jun 25, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Give the people what they want!

3. DizzyExiled

DizzyExiled

Jan 22, 2010
    Chico, Ca
    enjoy your carpal tunnel.

4. lowendblues

lowendblues Supporting Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Ohio
    Wow...Im sorry.

5. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    Are you going to wait until someone shouts "Freebird", or do you already have a spot for it in your set?

I think it's cool you're going to play it, btw.

6. KrisH

KrisH

Nov 6, 2007
    New Jersey
    I've been playing in bands since 1972, and I have to admit -- I've never played Free Bird out on a gig. Personally, I like the song. But I've never found anyone willing to play it! What is it with this prejudice gigging musicians have with the song? It can't be because it's been "overplayed" -- what about "Brown-Eyed Girl," then?

7. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    We have a few "fans" who will waste no time requesting it. :atoz:

8. When the crowd (or a drunken imbecile) Calls for "Free Bird", we launch into a frenzied
    rendition of it....for about 8 bars... then its thank you very much.. break time.
    "Oh, won't you fry-eye my flea burg-er, yeah"

9. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    My guitar player always responds "Reverb"? "Hey Eugene"! (the sound guy) "They want more reverb"!

I saw the absolute worst band ever nail Freebird when someone in the audiance was heckling them. Those guys couldn't play a tune all night long until someone shouted "Freebird!!!!" and they nailed it! I was so amazed, I'm still relating the experiance on internet forums 12 years later!

10. some one requested it Friday night for us.... I never have a problem playing it..i just ask that the solo be kept to a reasonable lenght.

last friday we just played the solo/outro not the song...

11. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    HAHA!!! We did that once. Never even practiced it nor did we ever even discuss it. Someone of course yelled it and we played it! Hacked through it (only part of the way) and laughed our butts off the whole time. Since we never take requests, it was truly a funny experience! Have a great time with it.

12. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    Nooooooo, say it ain't so.

13. could be worse - could be doing a Sweet Home Alabama/Werewolf In London/All Summer Long medley!!:rollno::scowl::rollno::scowl:

14. TomA1234

TomA1234

Jul 27, 2009
    Fareham, England
    Oh! So i'm not the only one to realise the main riff for all of those songs are EXACTLY the same!:eyebrow:
    Can't those bands who did those songs come up with their own music :rollno:(apart from the people who came up with it first!)

15. Mr. Mig

Mr. Mig

Sep 7, 2008
    Do what you got to do.

16. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    It'd be even better if you had a screen that played the ending of 'The Devil's Rejects' as you guys play Freebird.

17. randyripoff

randyripoff

Jul 12, 2008
    Chicago
    That song tends to lend itself to great excesses like 10 minute guitar solos and the like...in other words, it's a noodler's dream.

18. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    We have done this too!! It may have been the same gig!! Man we mess around a bunch when we play!! Ah the good ole days

19. Thor

Thor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

You are heading down a dark path.

Before you know it you will be playing 'Green Grass and High
    Tide Forever' or 'Flirtin With Disaster' or 'Whipping Post'. You
    and Davetakis will be exchanging PM's and your kitchen will
    have a mighty display of Jack Daniels bottles, almost all of
    which will be empty. Your pickup truck may breakdown, and
    your girl will leave, taking your dog and favorite hunting rifle
    for good measure.

Sure you want to do this?

20. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    So........ Freebird is the gateway to living a country and western song? :bag: